Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,277   Online: 824

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First camera

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    WLF is the Waist Level View Finder. It pops up to allow you to view through the ground glass and holds that GG in place. Also, when purchasing film backs, make sure they come with the dark slides. I know that Mamiya RB67 film back dark slides go for about $35.00 USD each slide. Almost as much as a back goes for sans slide. Also, go here to view owners manuals for cameras you might be considering so you can make a more informed decision.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    thanks, reading latest posts....yes, I am slow and methodical, I like night and day reportage portraiture, landscapes, architecture and abstract things

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have always found the larger the format the more slow and methodical I generally am. I have to force myself to slow down when shooting 35mm with my Minnies but I do it. Good luck.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    Remember to have a go at your local newspapers and perhaps sites like Craig's List. Especially with the postal situation over there. Might speed things up a bit.
    Royal Mail gets reported over in the USA?

Tom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Just about all the modern MF cameras will provide you with professional grade standard. The question remains -- how do you photograph? If you are slow and methodical, than a non-SLR would be good for you. If you need to make a lot of images in a short period of time, using different film types and/or focal length lenses, then a SLR with multiple backs would be better.
    You can be slow and methodical with any camera.
    That is about how you approach photography. Not about what tool you use.

Nice though they may be, the trouble with TLRs is that they are one trick ponies.
    You need the verstality of a 'system' camera. And though the Mamiya 330 with its changeable lenses comes close, only SLRs are versatile enough to tackle any and all tasks.

As slow and methodical or fast and happy go lucky as you wish.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    You can be slow and methodical with any camera.
    That is about how you approach photography. Not about what tool you use.

True, but if one needs to work fast and furious (fashion, fast-moving reportage), then TLR are not the "best" tools, which was my point.

Nice though they may be, the trouble with TLRs is that they are one trick ponies. You need the verstality of a 'system' camera.

No, one does not need such versitility. A lifetime of images can be obtained with only a fixed-lens camera. Of course, it is perfectly fine if someone desires the versitility of changable lenses and multiple backs.

And there are cases where a SLR camera may not be at all desirable -- street photography and intimate events may not work well with a camera with an excessively loud mirror slap (try being subtle with a Pentax 67!LOL!)

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by carmenloofah View Post
    Mamiya RB67 ProSD camera with 180mm F4.5 K/L lens - is this worth considering - what is + WLF and is it necessary? - please advise me on the basic equipment I need to get started with medium format, I have seen several Mamiya RB67 bodies I may be able to afford so please could you tell me what lens to buy separately thanks!
    The 180mm F4.5 K/L lens is a very nice lens. It's about equivalent to a 90mm lens in 35mm format. I would start with the 127mm or the 90mm lens but that's just my opinion. The 90mm lens is equivalent to a 45mm lens in 35mm and the 127mm is a little bit tighter. Mamiya has a lot of information available on their web site.

Good luck!

Tim

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    No, one does not need such versitility. A lifetime of images can be obtained with only a fixed-lens camera. Of course, it is perfectly fine if someone desires the versitility of changable lenses and multiple backs.
    No, no.
    Needing versatility is very real.

Though yes, if all you want is perform one trick, a one trick pony will do. If you so desire.
    The concept of professionals having customers, who themselves desire things of you, is foreign to you, i guess.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    So that's why those professional golfers have so many different clubs that they need someone to help them carry them all...!

Of course the choice of equipment matters.
    Tiger Woods couldn't win any of the major tournaments using a shovel.
    He couldn't with only a putter either.
    Lee Trevino used to win bets by playing a whole round with just one club, and still having the lowest score! :o

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin