Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,928   Posts: 1,522,165   Online: 1023

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First camera

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Lee Trevino used to win bets by playing a whole round with just one club, and still having the lowest score! :o
    Bets.
    But what tournament?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    ...The concept of professionals having customers, who themselves desire things of you, is foreign to you, i guess.
    I believe you are confusing the OP's desire for making images that reach the quality of "professional standard" with that of making commercial work involving clients.

If Carmenloofah wishes to be a commercial photographer, then yes, versitility is a very important factor in choosing equipment. However, an amateur or professional fine art photographer does not need that versitility, but may desire it.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I believe you are confusing the OP's desire for making images that reach the quality of "professional standard" with that of making commercial work involving clients.

If Carmonloofah wishes to be a commercial photographer, then yes, versitility is a very important factor in choosing equipment. However, an amateur or professional fine art photographer does not need that versitility, but may desire it.
    No, no. Again.

I was contesting your assertion that we (or "one", as you put it) do not need, but only desire versatility.
    Speak for yourself, i'd say to that.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Dang, that must mean I really do need a new car to be truly happy! LOL! Sorry, I am still trapped in the 60's/70's outlook on the difference between needs and wants.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I too remember those years, and know the difference between needs and desires. (Not that you need to remember those years to know that). Don't you worry.

Now stop telling people they do not need something because you desire different things! That's a very un-60's/70's thing to do!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    Royal Mail gets reported over in the USA?

Tom
    It does in the Postcard and Blind Print Exchanges here on APUG.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Tiger woods could beat ME with his putter. Of course, so could Tanya Harding's ex.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by carmenloofah View Post
    Please can you offer your valued opinions as to which medium format camera I should buy, it's my first one. I am an amateur, post grad student and the work I make needs to reach professional standard. I want to buy one with a Polaroid Back. I also need your advice on what lens to look for. Budget is a huge issue as very limited and I will buy on Ebay. Many thanks
    You could use just about any decent medium format gear. You don't need great diversity in the gear and you don't need any particular brand to help you attain professional quality that you desire. You need to look at many and choose the one you can afford, that provides the instant film back you desire and one that feels like a good tool to you that you are comfortable with. You will be limited to certain types and brand by the desire to have a instant film back. As others have said the Mamiya RB series is available at bargain prices these days, so are other Mamiya, Bronica, Fuji systems. TLR's are great but no instant film back. Hasselblad, Rollei and some others are wonderful but pricey. we can all giv eour opinions based on specific experiences with certain brands but you have to get some idea what you prefer by looking at a few options. most cameras will tell you what are really like just from handling and inspecting them. When you narrow down the ones that interest you then you will get better advice as to specifics about a particular camera. The gear does not make you a professional or good image maker, some gear can help you meet that end but amazing work is done by skilled people with low end gear. I've owned everything from a Yashicamat,Pentax, Mamiya 220 &330, Bronica ETRS,Mamiya RB and RZ, Rollei and eventually wound up in Hasselblad where I remain today. I have excellent images from all of these systems. I have bad images too. The gear helps but it's not the answer. Don't ever forget that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Lee Trevino used to win bets by playing a whole round with just one club, and still having the lowest score! :o
    At the risk of going off topic I would say this: some photographers have clients with very specific needs that may equate to lots of lenses and gear to produce a specific result.However, Henri Cartier-Bresson rarely used anything but a 50 MM lens on his leica, and he was no slouch.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    Tiger woods could beat ME with his putter. Of course, so could Tanya Harding's ex.
    Mmm... Chris, that j-u-s-t doesn't sound quite right.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin