Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,985   Posts: 1,523,952   Online: 882

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: First camera

Shooter
    35mm

First camera

Please can you offer your valued opinions as to which medium format camera I should buy, it's my first one. I am an amateur, post grad student and the work I make needs to reach professional standard. I want to buy one with a Polaroid Back. I also need your advice on what lens to look for. Budget is a huge issue as very limited and I will buy on Ebay. Many thanks

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If budget is a huge issue then forgo the Polaroid back. Go for a Mamiya C220 or C330 TLR with, well, the 80-100mm range would be a normal lens. If you have to have the Polaroid back then the Mamiya RB67's are going for next to nothing. I have one with two 120 backs, WLF and a 90 that I might be willing to part with.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you want a camera that is reasonably versatile, don't get a TLR (not even the 330), but an SLR with changeable lenses, backs and viewfinders.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    RB67's and lenses are a superb buy at the moment. Top quality for very little money.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by carmenloofah View Post
    Please can you offer your valued opinions as to which medium format camera I should buy, it's my first one. I am an amateur, post grad student and the work I make needs to reach professional standard. I want to buy one with a Polaroid Back. I also need your advice on what lens to look for. Budget is a huge issue as very limited and I will buy on Ebay. Many thanks

You write "the work I make needs to reach professional standard".

That has nothing to do with the camera format you select. Nor does it have anything to do with film versus digital.

Tiger Woods can beat you at golf using a shovel. Don't equate camera selection with professional results. A shaky, poorly composed large format landscape is worse than a sharp well composed camera phone shot.

If medium format is the road you want to take, all of the brands are good. Bronica, Mamiya, Hassy, Rollei, Pentax, even my auto everything Fuji, were all aimed at working pro's, and will all render, in the right hands, great pictures.

Best of luck on your hunt and purchase!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry06GT View Post
    Tiger Woods can beat you at golf using a shovel. Don't equate camera selection with professional results.
    So that's why those professional golfers have so many different clubs that they need someone to help them carry them all...!

Of course the choice of equipment matters.
    Tiger Woods couldn't win any of the major tournaments using a shovel.
    He couldn't with only a putter either.

Shooter
    35mm
    thanks, having a look at prices...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Remember to have a go at your local newspapers and perhaps sites like Craig's List. Especially with the postal situation over there. Might speed things up a bit.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I question the need for a polaroid back -- especially in these days of no Polaroid film. A digital camera set up next to the MF camera would serve as well.

The most versatile would be one of the SLR MF cameras -- perhaps even the Pentax 6x4.5 would be a good choice, along with the RB67 mentioned earlier. The range of MF cameras out there is wide. I am heavily biased towards the Rolleiflex TLR due to that is the camera I learned photography with, and I like the solid simplicity. Another camera to consider is the Fuji 6x7 (or 6x9) -- rangefinders. Wonderful optics and ease of use (except for the funky "T/B" setting they have).

Just about all the modern MF cameras will provide you with professional grade standard. The question remains -- how do you photograph? If you are slow and methodical, than a non-SLR would be good for you. If you need to make a lot of images in a short period of time, using different film types and/or focal length lenses, then a SLR with multiple backs would be better.

Good luck making your choice. But one thing is nice. A quality MF camera keeps it market value. If you buy one and decide that it does not meet your requirements, you can easily get most of your money back on it if you decide to get a different type.

Vaughn

PS...I have played several games of golf -- Woods could easily beat me playing with only a putter! LOL!
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm
    Mamiya RB67 ProSD camera with 180mm F4.5 K/L lens - is this worth considering - what is + WLF and is it necessary? - please advise me on the basic equipment I need to get started with medium format, I have seen several Mamiya RB67 bodies I may be able to afford so please could you tell me what lens to buy separately thanks!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin