Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,907   Posts: 1,556,004   Online: 1098

Shooter
    Multi Format

Polaroid back question

I'm thinking about getting a polaroid back for my Mamiya RZ67. Question is, are they used primarily for previewing? How are you using your polaroid back?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Eric,
    I have a polaroid back on my RB67, which I use for times when I just feel like instant film.
    They were developed for studio pros to be able to 'proof' their lighting and studio setups, and ensure the quality of the images which were going to come out of a shoot. Of course for those of us who don't depend on that level of predictability to make a living, they're mostly fun to have and use.

Basically I use mine because instant film can be enjoyable to play with. The Fuji FP100C (and FP100B) packs fit the back and work fine.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use my Polaroid backs to keep some shelf space, somewhere deep inside a cupboard, occupied.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Pros once used Polaroid backs to preview studio strobe setups. Now you can do this more easily and cheaply with a digital camera. Even when shooting film, you can preview a complicated flash setup with digital.

I usually use hot lights in the studio, so I don't need to preview. I use a Polaroid back (with Fuji instant) in my Bronica to give portrait customers something to take home from the session, just a treat for them to enjoy.

Like Halford, I love playing with Instant, but the Polaroid back in a 6x6 camera only gives a 6x6 image. For street work I shoot either a modified Polaroid Automatic 100 (with the original lens and shutter replaced by a Kaltar) or a Mamiya Universal, both of which give a full frame image.
    Vince Donovan

Shooter
    35mm
    Emulsion transfers, Fuji fp100 can be used for transfers, PM me for the technique if you are interested. I got tired of having to do the transfers right when I shot though, so now I shoot slides and use a polaroid machine that works a bit like the daylab.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I just use it to test my lighting and and to look at the composition, there are things that you can pick up while looking at a polaroid that you might not notice while looking through the camera.
    Last edited by BenZucker; 11-09-2009 at 05:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BenZucker View Post
    I just it to test my lighting and and to look at the composition, there are things that you can pick up while looking at a polaroid that you might not notice while looking through the camera.
    I have never used Polaroids to assess exposure. I used it primarily to look at composition, and to check for unnoticed and unwanted elements within the photo that escaped my eyes just looking at the scene thru the viewfinder or groundglass.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin