Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,519   Online: 843

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kino View Post
    Yeah, we know how important labels are to some insecure people, but some people are happy with less than perfect...
    Its not about labels or snobbery. I'm a professional, my equipment needs to 'just work' every single day, no exceptions. My ability to feed myself and my son depends on that. Soviet cameras are not reliable, sorry, they just aren't. Its too bad too, because many of the Russian lenses were excellent. I have a Jupiter-8 lens (50mm f2) in Leica screw mount that I use on my Leica M4 with an adapter and it is SHARP. I did have to have it rebuilt after buying it in new condition...it backfocused severely. Once I had it re-shimmed to proper focus, it has been an awesome lens.

For medium format, my first was a Mamiya 645 Super, bought new when I was a senior in high school. Much more costly than an ARAX but it has served me faithfully without a single problem, ever, for 15 yrs. I have made many times its purchase price from the sale of my fine art prints from negs that were produced in that camera. Considering that used Mamiyas are DIRT CHEAP now, I just don't see the point of buying something that is not 100% perfectly reliable.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chris

Off topic, but you have a nice website.

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebarger View Post
    Chris

Off topic, but you have a nice website.

Mike
    Thanks Mike
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'm doing my first trial-by-fire with a Kiev 60 today. My fingers are crossed!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    Its not about labels or snobbery. I'm a professional, my equipment needs to 'just work' every single day, no exceptions. My ability to feed myself and my son depends on that. Soviet cameras are not reliable, sorry, they just aren't. Its too bad too, because many of the Russian lenses were excellent. I have a Jupiter-8 lens (50mm f2) in Leica screw mount that I use on my Leica M4 with an adapter and it is SHARP. I did have to have it rebuilt after buying it in new condition...it backfocused severely. Once I had it re-shimmed to proper focus, it has been an awesome lens.

For medium format, my first was a Mamiya 645 Super, bought new when I was a senior in high school. Much more costly than an ARAX but it has served me faithfully without a single problem, ever, for 15 yrs. I have made many times its purchase price from the sale of my fine art prints from negs that were produced in that camera. Considering that used Mamiyas are DIRT CHEAP now, I just don't see the point of buying something that is not 100% perfectly reliable.
    Not everyone places professional demands on equipment.

Like I said, some people just can't respect a moment without putting something down...

Would a moderator please close this tread?

thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you do not like the comments, instead of pretending to be offended, do not subscribe to the thread.

Censor is not the proper course when a person respectfully disagrees with your views.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kino

What part of the globe do you inhabit? There hasn't been any out of line comments concerning Kiev products, just disagreement as to its value in todays economic market.

Not many think they are/were a tool for professionals or heavy users. Many thought that it was worth a chance to try one for those who put light demand on a camera when other MF equipment was priced high compared to todays market. Then there are those that feel they were/are a good value regardless of the price of other brands, to heck with a few repairs now and then. Some didn't think they were of value at any price because of the dependability issue.

If Kiev was your favorite brand, I'm sorry you lost it. However, you have a lot of choices out there that provide better dependability at the same or lower pricing.

Differences of opinion, if civilized, should be welcomed not criticized.

Just 2 cents worth.

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Like I said, some people just can't respect a moment without putting something down...
    Ah! That's why you think you need to tell people who don't like Kievs that you think they are insecure label snobs!

Would a moderator please close this tread?
    Why?
    Are you feeling that insecure in the company of people who can recognise things as they are?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I like Soviet cameras, and I've owned a few, but a problem was that sometimes my 35mm still (more serious problems) and Super 8 cinema (luckily, I could always fix this one in the field) cameras would fail me, when I needed them most. I have a 75 year old German Zeiss-Ikon that hasn't been CLAed in decades, if not at all in its 75 years of existence, and it works perfectly every time that I use it.

The reason that I don't buy more Soviet cameras is because of the reliability issues that I have experienced first hand. I do enjoy Soviet lenses. I truly wish they were more reliable.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    We had a Kiev 6x6 donated to our program (w/ 80mm lens). It is always interesting to run new students through the use of the camera. It makes them appreciate our Fuji 6x7 that much more!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin