Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,608   Online: 813

Shooter
    35mm

Feisol CT3342/Markins M10 OK for RB67?

I'm looking at possibly buying A RB67 (first MF). Also considering Hasselblads, and even 6X4.5 .... But at the moment the RB67 seems to be the one (I change my mind every day). The thing is, I would be swayed seriously toward the RB67 if I knew that my existing tripod/head, a Feisol CT3342/Markins M10 would be adequate. That combination is extremely stable for D200 and Nikon DX 17-55 2.8 ... The Nikon combo weighs about 1.6 Kg or 3.5 lbs ... I believe the RB67 is about 6lbs (?without lens) ... Any thoughts?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Given that it's a 3-section with 28mm legs, it will certainly be fine, particularly when not extended to full height.

I'm currently using a generic taiwanese aluminium tripod of terrible manufacturing quality and similar leg dimensions (it's a Manfrotto clone); it is more than stable enough, particularly when you don't extend the legs all the way. Because of the WLF, I don't tend to raise the tripod very high with the RZ, so there's some extra stability there. Just make sure you use mirror-up and a release cable, that way there's only a leaf shutter moving in the camera and that won't cause vibration. If there's a high wind, you might want to hook your camera bag under the tripod to hold it down - the extra weight loads the legs and reduces vibrations due to external forces.

I've played with a 3401 or 3402 (don't remember which but it's a lot weedier than the 3342) and it would have been fine for the RZ at low heights.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Polyglot ... I think I would probably use a prism (for landscape photography) with the RB67. Just to take advantage of the added variety of angle of view with all that nice tripod height. What about lugging it around in a backpack? Have you ever been hiking with the RZ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the 3442, use my Bronica ETRSi with motor and even with the 250mm or the 105 1:1 Macro on it, and it's more stable than I figured its 4-section legs would allow. Very solid. I think the 3342 will be fine for you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I carry my RZ around for a few hours at a time. However, I have a side-pack (Crumpler $7M Home), which is a really bad idea and results in sore shoulders from the asymmetrical load. I'm pretty solidly built but 5 hours with that (RZ, 110/2.8, A700+grip+85/1.4, 20/2.8, flash & accessories) on one shoulder is not cool. With a backpack, it's fine though the RZ is a bit lighter than an RB.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks people ... I'm feeling a lot more confident about the Feisol now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gregmacc View Post
    Thanks people ... I'm feeling a lot more confident about the Feisol now.
    Yes, mine is quite solid and is well made.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin