Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,509   Posts: 1,543,563   Online: 1049

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The neat thing about a WLF is it's flexibility, you can set the camera on the ground and work much more comfortably than crawling on your stomach to compose a low angle shot through a prism. You can brace the camera sideways against a wall or a tree with better control if you left your tripod at home, You can also use it to get a high viewpoint if you are in a crowd.

Once you can hold the camera upside down over your head and compose you've mastered the WLF.
    Last edited by bdial; 11-30-2009 at 09:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    WLF, difficult to hold high, like over a fence or bush. Also difficult to shoot straight down at the ground.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is reversed left to right, but not top to bottom. It won't be an issue when shooting, I think...as long as you are not totally lost in your ground glass and ignoring the word around you (certain to make for crummy pix anyhow, IMO), you won't have a problem knowing which way to move the camera. However, you may be in for some surprises when you look at your negs for the first few rolls! "Say...I thought that was on the left side of the picture...."

Most medium format cameras accept prism finders as well as waist-level finders. I prefer to use them, myself, though I do like and enjoy waist level viewing as well. I have a prism for my Mamiya TLRs, and really, really want them for my Mamiya RZ and M645. Finding a good deal on non-metered prisms for these systems in good condition has so far proven difficult for me.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 11-30-2009 at 10:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The image will be upside down if you have a 6x4.5 format camera, and want to shoot a vertical Matt
    Uh ... The MF camera I'm looking at getting is a RZ67 which can shoot 6x4.5 does that mean when I switch from a 6x7 back to 6x4.5 the image is upside down

Oh, and I've seen footage of Annie Leibovitz shooting at the Chrysler bldg. with a Mamiya attached to a neck strap. Anyone know what kind of strap that might be?

One of those might just come in handy.
    Last edited by lilmsmaggie; 11-30-2009 at 11:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The image will never be upside down on an RZ unless you turn the camera upside down.

The reason other 645 cameras do that is because they don't have the rotating back, which means you need to turn the whole camera on its ear like you would a 35mm to get the other orientation. The image is reversed left-right with respect to the camera body, so when you rotate the camera 90 degrees, that becomes a vertical inversion but then of course left/right is not reversed any more.

Don't worry about it. It's really easy unless you want to track moving subjects, which takes a bit of getting used to.

The neck strap: you can use any (make sure it's nice and wide, preferably springy), just make sure it has the right Mamiya lugs on the end to attach to the camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    The image will never be upside down on an RZ unless you turn the camera upside down.
    On its side will be enough.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a WLF for my Mamiya 645 Super, but I really never use it. Find I vastly prefer the prism finder for most situations.

I do though, find the WLF very entertaining just to look into.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I got so used to my rolleiflex's WLF that, when using the crappy digi*** P&S I use for unimportant images and using the back screen... I tend to be unable to frame properly at first sight because the iamge LOOKS reversed ;-)

But may be I should ask for a neurologist ?
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    But may be I should ask for a neurologist ?
    Spiritual adviser.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leighgion View Post
    Spiritual adviser.
    My wife may play this role :
    - you DON'T need any other camera !
    - why is film/paper/developer/fixer so expensive ?
    - do you STILL need film ? I though you bought some last month (of course I did :rolleyes
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin