Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,641   Online: 788

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    WLF, difficult to hold high, like over a fence or bush. Also difficult to shoot straight down at the ground.

Jon
    I would say the opposite, Jon, but then I have done all that with a Rollei TLR and not some heavy beast of a MF camera. Over-the-head shots over crowds, and shots straight down over the edge of buildings (arms stretched out) are WLF's forte.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Well, taken in the context of ease and accuracy of composition and focus, it is not easy for me to use the wlf by holding the camera upside down and at arms length! For subjects like landscapes over brush and pointing down at things on the ground it adds complexity.

Jon

ps I suspect people have different perspective because of the subjects we shoot. I shoot primarily landscapes, where a foot or so higher viewpoint makes a big difference in perspective, and where precise leveling and framing are needed. I also shoot a lot of graveyards and stuff washed up on the beach, where pointing straight down is common. I have never been in a situation where I wanted to shoot over a crowd or straight down the face of a building. I sometimes also have glare on the screen from bright overhead sun.
    Last edited by Jon Shiu; 12-01-2009 at 02:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Being able to hold a WLF camera over your head upside down at arms length makes it possible to shoot pictures over fences or tops of crowds that you could not do with a prism finder. It's not a case of being the easiest or most convenient. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to get the picture. If you don't have a step ladder it may be impossible to get that shot over the 7 or 8 foot fence with a prism finder.

Dave

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dave, you're correct about shooting over your head. News photographers liked the Rolleiflex for this reason -- when they were using TLRs. That and the huge negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Kansas View Post
    Being able to hold a WLF camera over your head upside down at arms length makes it possible to shoot pictures over fences or tops of crowds that you could not do with a prism finder. It's not a case of being the easiest or most convenient. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to get the picture. If you don't have a step ladder it may be impossible to get that shot over the 7 or 8 foot fence with a prism finder.

Dave

Ugh! - just watching Annie Leibovitz standing on one of those eagle heads with 6 lbs of MF camera hanging around her neck while shooting a male model was enough to give me a serious case of vertigo.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lilmsmaggie View Post
    Ugh! - just watching Annie Leibovitz standing on one of those eagle heads with 6 lbs of MF camera hanging around her neck while shooting a male model was enough to give me a serious case of vertigo.
    So which was the better photograph: the photograph Annie Leibovitz took, or the photograph Leibovitz's assistant took of her on the eagle head?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry06GT View Post
    With a prism finder, it is just like any other SLR.

Heck, my Bronica ETRS with a 80mm lens, is smaller than my D200 with the 18-200 VR lens.
    80mm?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    80mm?
    Oops, I was thinking of my Mamiya 645, the Bronica has the 75...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by lilmsmaggie View Post
    Learning to compose and focus with a WLF for the MF newbie.
    When I first used medium format, it was the WLF on the Yashica 635, and even though it was dimmer than I was used to, I found composition much easier. You will get used to the left-right reversal fairly quickly if you use the camera often. Action will be a little difficult at first but it can be done.

Looking down into the 7x7cm ground glass screen of my RB67 is nothing like using the tiny viewfinder of a 35mm or DSLR camera. Working with a tripod at full height gets a little tricky, so bring a small stepladder (seriously) if you really expect to do high-angle work.

The RB has a Revolving Back, so you only turn the back, not the camera and both vertical and horizontal images are upright. I had an old-model prism for my RB but it was HUGE and added enough weight to the camera that I rarely used it (sort of defeats the purpose). I say go for the waist-level finder, it's really an eye opener.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry06GT View Post
    So which was the better photograph: the photograph Annie Leibovitz took, or the photograph Leibovitz's assistant took of her on the eagle head?
    By that time,everyone in class including me were too busy squirming, and squealing to notice. I think I closed my eyes at that point.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin