Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,972   Posts: 1,523,589   Online: 901

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hasselblads are very reliable if used and maintained properly. I would not consider them "rugged", but delicate.
    Most of the problems posted on internet forums are from used cameras that are 20 years old or more, bought used.
    You cannot be sure of how much wear has that camera, and parts may need replacement. Not all services do that, sometimes it is just basic CLA.
    It is like buying a luxury car from the 70´s whith more than 300,000 miles on the original engine and complain about oil leaks.
    There is also a proportion of user error, mostly due to trying to use the camera without reading the manual first. Compared to other cameras, Hasselblads are not intuitive to use (not user friendly).
    You should never force anything in a Hasselblad, if you do you will most likely cause damage to it.

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Hasselblad

As a working wedding, prom and portrait photographer for over 25 years from the late 70's into the early 2000's - I had nothing but good experiences with Hasselblads. I owned 5 systems at one point (both mechanical and motorized) and found them to be completely reliable. The were cla'd regularly and I never had a photograph lost to mechanical erroor. I probably made in excess of 100,000 exposures with them.
    Tim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Please re-read fdisilvesto's first sentance. Then brand that into the brain. It is not a simple camera to use and it will not suffer fools. Nor will it suffer some hack repairman who thinks he knows what he is doing.

My own Hasselblad is around 20 years old and has never jammed or been serviced or repaired. Just use them now and then to keep it working. Sitting on a shelf will kill a camera too. It was bought brand new and never in full time professional use. So it should last a lot longer than I do. And that is the problem for many 'Blad user's. Because of it's reputation and wide range of acessories many have seen untold use. Before digital, it was "the" camera for wedding, fashion and other commercial photographers.

After a million frames it would be a back up camera for a few years and then traded in as the pro rotated his stock. Then the dealer would have the frame polished up, the leather replaced, then sold as a lightly used camera.

Do some research on the reputations of some of the New York City camera stores and their used camera sales.

If that same well used camera had been sent in to Hasselblads New Jersey HQ. for a full tear down and repair, it would outlive you. But the cost of such repair made it cheaper to buy a new one and trade in to the hacks.

That's the danger of used 'Blad's. Finding one that was well loved and used by a amateur or part time pro, or long abused by a pro, then recovered.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In defense of the machine itself, it's failing intermittently and the mechanic you're sending it to isn't able to duplicate the failure. The problem is most likely a binding lever in the advance system failing to give a positive stop..
    Sounds simple but most mechanics won't take the time to properly clean & lube those pivots involved, just the bearing or latching faces.
    Getting involved in the quality issue in silly. Most of the manufacturers make decent machines. If you buy pro level equipment you get pro level performance, this doesn't mean there are no failures, just that they're not all that frequent.

If you choose to send the camera to a different technician, describe the failure as best you can and emphasize that it's intermittent. It sounds as if your mechanic is repairing the damage caused by the failure but not the original fault.
    Most reputable techs will return the camera(NC) if they cannot duplicate the failure.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Randomly using a Hasselblad. Just couldn't resist. Anyway I have been using Blad's since the late 70's and can probably count the number of jams I have had on one hand. By the sounds of it I must be the exception. But then again I take care of my equipment and follow all the rules so to speak about the care and feeding of Blads.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by climbabout View Post
    As a working wedding, prom and portrait photographer for over 25 years from the late 70's into the early 2000's - I had nothing but good experiences with Hasselblads. I owned 5 systems at one point (both mechanical and motorized) and found them to be completely reliable. The were cla'd regularly and I never had a photograph lost to mechanical erroor. I probably made in excess of 100,000 exposures with them.
    Tim
    The key words here kids... CLAed regularly. Today, no one wants to send their equipment out, thus the reason for so many mechanical problems. These cameras are professional grade, to be used by people earning a living. They'd spend the money to keep their equipment in top shape just as you would regularly change the oil in a limo... it's our bread n butter.

Amatures are free riding the wave of flea-bay dumpers that are on their last legs bue to amature abuse, not maintaining the equipment regularly, THe mind set is I'll buy another when it breaks but have the odasity to bad mouth a 30 year old camera a guy once fed his family with, and not a single problem in it's life time.

Ask me how I know?
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    Randomly using a Hasselblad. Just couldn't resist. Anyway I have been using Blad's since the late 70's and can probably count the number of jams I have had on one hand. By the sounds of it I must be the exception. But then again I take care of my equipment and follow all the rules so to speak about the care and feeding of Blads.
    I have about 10-15 years of working with Hasselblads spit between a 500C I had in the early 80's then sold, and two more recent acquisitions. I have yet to experience the Hasselblad jam that is apparently so common.

I feel left out:rolleyes:

Shooter
    Medium Format
    To everyone who is saying that the repair man is not reputable, it has been David Odess all three times. I don't think it is his fault, he certainly knows what he is doing and was generous enough to repair it for free the second time and this time as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know it doesn't prove anything, but I have had only one "jam" with my 503 in 7 years of ownership (and it was my fault... )

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a 500 C/M I bought from Dave Odess and it has never malfunctioned.

Matter of fact I've never had a problem with any of my Hasselblads.

And they have all made, with my help, many thousands of images!

Best to you in 2010

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin