Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,951   Posts: 1,557,947   Online: 1002

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

What exactly causes random Hasselblad Jams?

Are these cameras just really unreliable or is it just me?

I bought a Hasselblad at the beggining of the year. Since then, the camera has jammed and broke 3 times, the first time resulting in the replacing of multiple springs. Then i got it back from repair, and all was fine for about a month. I was shooting then it jammed up and the auxillary shutter spring broke again. I sent it back for repair and the Aux. spring was replaced. Then, about a month ago, the same thing happened again. I had the back off and only the lens on ( 80mm CFT on a 500CM ) and i released the shutter, then when i was winding it didnt stop winding and just kept turning. This (where the winder kept turning longer then usual) had happened before inbetween the last repair and this incident. I unjammed it to find the auxillary shutter broken again, for the third time.

What the hell could i possibly be doing wrong? Could it be the fault of the lens?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Despite what you have experienced, Hasselblad cameras indeed are reliable (very reliable, in fact) and don't do things like this unless someone did something bad to them first.

I suspect the camera you bought was a badly fixed camera. What happened to it previously we can only guess at.

What we can know with 100% certainty is that it was very badly fixed after you got it. Twice.
    Had it been done correctly the first time, it would have been as good as new, i.e. not going wrong for the next 50 years or more, unless you do something very bad to it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I saw the thread title and just KNEW Q.G. would be commenting. Well having suffered the "insufferable" commentry about how wonderful Hasselblads are, and soooo important to buy expensive because...well a Bronica is just not as reliable as a Hassy, so why would you buy cheap....it does amuse me that it must be someone elses fault not the camera. Well, the truth is that all cameras can break, cheap and expensive ones...just expensive ones tend to be more expensive to repair. I think that you ought to have it checked out not just repaired, and make sure you are operating it properly...

Q.G. I await the repost!

Kal Khogali

www.kal-khogali.com

Visit my Photo Scrap Book

www.shutteringeye.wordpress.com

"Wake up, dream, and photograph what you have seen.
    Don't wake up, photograph, and dream of what could have been."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shangheye View Post
    I saw the thread title and just KNEW Q.G. would be commenting. Well having suffered the "insufferable" commentry about how wonderful Hasselblads are, and soooo important to buy expensive because...well a Bronica is just not as reliable as a Hassy, so why would you buy cheap....it does amuse me that it must be someone elses fault not the camera. Well, the truth is that all cameras can break, cheap and expensive ones...just expensive ones tend to be more expensive to repair. I think that you ought to have it checked out not just repaired, and make sure you are operating it properly...

Q.G. I await the repost!

Here it comes:

Despite what you have experienced, Hasselblad cameras indeed are reliable (very reliable, in fact) and don't do things like this unless someone did something bad to them first.

I suspect the camera you bought was a badly fixed camera. What happened to it previously we can only guess at.

What we can know with 100% certainty is that it was very badly fixed after you got it. Twice.
    Had it been done correctly the first time, it would have been as good as new, i.e. not going wrong for the next 50 years or more, unless you do something very bad to it.
    But i guess you were hoping for a riposte?
    Well here's that too:

Of course will all mechanical things break sooner or later.

But the truth really is that some things are made pretty damn well.
    Hasselblad's reputation is well earned. They really last amazingly long.
    I can't help it, Kal, that's just how it is.

More importantly though is for the OP to know that he has been taken, both when buying the camera, and when he send it in for repairs.

How often did you have to have your Bronica repaired (or replaced), Kal?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post

How often did you have to have your Bronica repaired (or replaced), Kal?
    Never. That is the honest truth. I have had it since June 2007. Aside from one occaision when I ran out of batteries and did not have the spares with me (but the camera can operate in manual mode at 1/500sec so I survived) it has never failed me. I believe this is an SQ Ai model from 1993.

Anyway, I did not want to hijack the thread, and yes I fully expected a reposte

Rgds, Kal
    Kal Khogali

www.kal-khogali.com

Visit my Photo Scrap Book

www.shutteringeye.wordpress.com

"Wake up, dream, and photograph what you have seen.
    Don't wake up, photograph, and dream of what could have been."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shangheye View Post
    Never. That is the honest truth. I have had it since June 2007. Aside from one occaision when I ran out of batteries and did not have the spares with me (but the camera can operate in manual mode at 1/500sec so I survived) it has never failed me. I believe this is an SQ Ai model from 1993.
    Since june 2007...
    There we go.

Among the camera i use is one i bought new in the late 1970s that hasn't even been serviced (stupid of me, i know) since then. Works like new still. And that's not even exceptional.
    And no, it's not a Bronica.

I'm not saying that Bronica's aren't good, though.
    But there is nothing untruthfull or unrealistic about the reported reliability of Hasselblads. You not liking that doesn't do anything to change that.

And that's the truthfull and correct answer to the OP's question.
    You got a bum deal all way round.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Comment to the break down frequency

Hello,

I would just like to add that generally it is surprising how easily people tend to draw conclusions about the overall reliability of different products based on their personal experiences with the products.

For example if a person has owned three units of a product X and let's say two of them have broken down earlier than expected. Of course that feels for the owner that the product X is not good. But without knowing the real amount of failures within the product line, it's really hard to say that the product is good or bad based on personal experiences.

Of course the situation changes if the person in question has been working with the products a lot. Or if for example web forums fill up with posts asking about broken products X. But even with many (50?) posts on a certain web forum might not really tell the whole situation, because there again we don't really know the ratio of broken units to working units.

Without reliable statistics it's really hard to draw general conclusions about things.

Cheers,
    Pauli

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hasselblads aren't reliable. If you check the ratio of Hasselblads users to the number of complains and compare it to the ratio of Kiev 88 users, you will see.

Even so, there will be a bad piece, or a lemon. And it looks like your Hassy is either a lemon or badly fixed or the lens or you're using it violently. I'm not sure.. Hope someone can help you out!

Oh yes, I'm getting a Kiev 88CM. Boom.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    After I heard about a booklet by (David Vestal?) called "32 ways to jam a Hasselblad." I bought my 1st Mamiya.
    ------------------------------------
    -Joe
    RB67, ETR, ETRS, F4, F5, FM3a, A1, AE1,
    Bronica-S, Mamiya-7, Yashica TLR, & many many Range finders
    ------------------------------------

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Perhaps consider sending your camera to David Odess.

Here is a link to his web site:

http://www.david-odess.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin