Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,224   Online: 980

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Mamiya M645 winding knob

Okay, I am at a loss... Can't figue this. Hopefully someone can help me a bit further along.

I got a Mamiya 645 (original model) in the mail. Looks nice and it all seems promising. However, it turns out I can't get it to fire the shutter, except by winding it with the knob.

I looked in the manual, tried it with film in single, tried it in multi with film, tried without film in any imaginable variation I could think of. No amount of pressure on either of the shutter buttons makes any difference.

Well, after all this, I removed the knob and when I inserted it again and wound on it so that it gripped onto the camera, I could see that the upper shutter button moves.

When I try to wind it onto the next frame, it seems okay to wind until there's some resistance. If I then turn it a little bit further, the mirror and the shutter moves. I guess it should stop just there, but it's not. It's like the shutter opens and closes by winding on, but not pressing the shutter button.

The manual mentions a red button/mark where I should insert the knob, but there is none, so I don't which way it should sit to be correct. Would that matter in this case? I was thinking along the lines that if it was inserted incorrectly, it would activate some kind of function for the winder accessories.

Yes, I am thinking it is busted, but hope springs eternal, right?
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
    Okay, I am at a loss... Can't figue this. Hopefully someone can help me a bit further along.

I got a Mamiya 645 (original model) in the mail. Looks nice and it all seems promising. However, it turns out I can't get it to fire the shutter, except by winding it with the knob.

I looked in the manual, tried it with film in single, tried it in multi with film, tried without film in any imaginable variation I could think of. No amount of pressure on either of the shutter buttons makes any difference.

Well, after all this, I removed the knob and when I inserted it again and wound on it so that it gripped onto the camera, I could see that the upper shutter button moves.

When I try to wind it onto the next frame, it seems okay to wind until there's some resistance. If I then turn it a little bit further, the mirror and the shutter moves. I guess it should stop just there, but it's not. It's like the shutter opens and closes by winding on, but not pressing the shutter button.

The manual mentions a red button/mark where I should insert the knob, but there is none, so I don't which way it should sit to be correct. Would that matter in this case? I was thinking along the lines that if it was inserted incorrectly, it would activate some kind of function for the winder accessories.

Yes, I am thinking it is busted, but hope springs eternal, right? :)
    You must make sure your battery is not dead.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The advance should stop when the camera's fully wound.
    I'll agree that you should check the battery first but think it would not fire if the battery is dead.
    The position of the adv. knob should make no difference to the camera and you should be able to advance the camera without the knob installed. Might chip a fingernail though.
    I'd suggest replacing the battery & if that doesn't fix it contact the seller about a repair or refund
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks, I'll look into the battery issue. I don't think this is it, because the battery check on-camera says it's okay, but I'll try with another battery, just because. I'll remove the knob and try that, too.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I decided to return the camera. Stupid idea buying it in the first place, but hey, I learnt something new.

Thanks for the answers.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin