Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,954   Posts: 1,558,031   Online: 1116

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Bronica S2a - still a good camera?

Hi folks,
    a friend of mine is searching for an MF camera at the moment. Rollei SLRs and Hasselblad are out of budget, so we came about the mentioned Bronica.
    He is a big fan of Nikon so I thought he might like the Nikkors Some of them have really fast apertures for an MF lens, like 150/3,5 or 200/4. (He likes to shoot wide open)
    I´m still uncertain whether this is a good camera or not. They are selling on Ebay quite cheaply and the lenses seems to sell for next to nothing.
    Pictures I´ve looked at at Flickr seemed to be razor sharp and had a wonderful bokeh, but how about the mechanical reliability? Are the lenses multicoated?
    Which focal lenghts were available and which lenses will fit?

Please be so kind to help me,
    regards, Benjamin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like any old camera, it will probably be a good idea to send it out for a CLA. This was/is a good system.

I have a friend with one, he hasn't had a hitch with it, and as you already know it is capable of excellent results.

Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    Here's a link to some good info on early Bronica cameras. Unfortunately the lens pages are in Japanese, but the Nikkors are listed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    i shoot one ( and alternate with a rollei sl66) and they are a great camera with superb optics. has a more solid-build feel to it compared to the rollei with no issues with matching the back's state with the body's state ( rollei is a little pedantic in this regard ). most of the nikkor optics have more aperture blades than the zeiss optics.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've been using them for many years.... carried a Bronica C around Vietnam in for about a year and it worked great. Came home and traded it for an EC, which was shortly upgraded to an EC-TL which lasted til I went 4x5. Now I use an S2A I got from Jimmy at KOH's cameras. I love them. they're noisy and bulky, but they work. Jimmy can also fix them right, too. Good choice in my view. Good luck finding a 40mm! Never force one!
    Logan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    to add to the previous poster's comments... you should never force any camera but if you had to the s2a is one of the cameras you could. the wind mechanism has a sort of slip clutch that protects the gears from overwinding. never believed it till i accidently confirmed what i had read. the bronica s, s2 and c don't have this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would love to get one myself....I have a friend who loves his, and they seem well built. If the lenses look anything like the early single-coated Nikon F lenses, I am getting one for sure. Those are my favorite lenses ever.

P.S. Do they have mirror lockup (or pre-release)?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    They are great cameras. I used one for a number of years but finally sold it due to repeated problems with the backs and the scarcity of parts. I also found the lens not to be as constrasty as the Zeiss lenses I went to.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I once owned an S2A and used it trouble free for 19 years at which time I used it in trade for Hasselblad. Much to my delight I received what I had originally payed for it. Both the Nikkor and Fujinon lenses were very sharp.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The other lenses were Zenzanon not Fujinon -- sorry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin