Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,865   Online: 1047

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 100 or 400

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can I tell the difference between 400 and 100 in a 8x10 print, definitely!

I generally load up my M645 with 400 for general walk around, maybe handheld, maybe tripod, maybe monopod use. If I'm using APX-25 or PanF then it's onto the tripod we go!

I haven't experimented with how slow I can hold the 645. With 35mm I know I can easily go under the 1/fl 'rule' The other day I took a couple of pics, both handheld.. I took the 2nd without thinking that I was handholding (with tripod lying on the ground)

http://www.nlandgl.com/Film377/film377-01.jpg (1/250 @ f8 )

http://www.nlandgl.com/Film377/film377-03.jpg (1/30 @ f22)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you can handhold at such low speeds, why are shuter speeds such a huge issue?
    heh heh. jdef, they're only a huge issue because I typo'd. LOL. That was supposed to say "are NOT a huge issue."

I either need coffee to pep me up or wine to put me out. I'll flip a coin.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I use 125 and 400 film and can't distinguish the grain between the two in 10x8's printed from 6x7 negs. However, they do look very different as there lots more than grain size to consider. In fact, I think I prefer the 400 these days.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    TriX in Pyrocat makes an absolute grainless 8x10 contact print - In 6x6 it makes a grainless 5x7 print. I am usually not in the mood for grain or motion blur - unless the motion is part of the subject so I am not a big fan of enlarging TRI X in roll film formats. HP5 has a kind of mottled paisley shaped grain pattern that makes enalrgements appear less grainy. TriX has its distinctive pinpoint grain that gives it that raxor sharp accutance. In 4x5 format enlarged to a 16x20 I notice a big difference in the grain of FP4 vs TriX. Although TriX is acceptable, the FP4 is noticably smoother. I do like to stop down and TriX will let me do that if there is a breeze. So I keep 2 graphlexes full of TriX and one full of FP4 for 4x5. I think HP5 pushes smoother than TriX. I find that TriX in Microdol for roll film enlarges pretty good. I have to rate it at 200 - but then I rate FP4 at 80 so it is still a pretty good difference. Of course the ultimate enlargable film is Tech Pan - I do use Pan F 50 for Portraits that will get enlarged when I must use MF. There is nothing quite like a LF portrait though and I prefer that if it is possible - it usually is not though. Sorry for the excessive rambling- I have given a lot of thought to exactly this topic. Still debate each time as well.
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin