Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,749   Posts: 1,483,780   Online: 824

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yashica D?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Recently answered a question like this on another forum-

Use the strap to pull down a bit to stabilize the camera when clicking the shutter. Use the magnifier to confirm focus.

To wind the film, push the little button in the middle of the wind button, then LET go and wind. Sorry if this is obvious to everyone, but for some reason I was holding the button in while starting to wind and spacing was very bad until I started simply pushing the button and letting go before winding.

It is very easy to double expose or not expose with the D. Find a habit that makes it clear to you if you need to wind or not, and stick with it. For me, I wind after I click the shutter, always, every time, no matter what. Rolleicords are similar, at least until the last models.

Get a lens hood. Watch for flair. I added flocking to the inside of my D, info here- http://www.flickr.com/groups/yashica...7622734630140/

The reversed image may be strange at first but just relax. It's actually an effective way of getting you to look at the *image* and not the scenery, if that makes sense. Just stay away from cliff edges and bus stops, until moving the camera doesn't make you slightly dizzy.

Have fun. People react differently to a TLR. You will have every other old man coming up to you saying they used to have a camera like that. For people photography, I think people react differently because you aren't pointing anything at them and you are looking down. When you do engage people, both of you are dong the same thing- staring at this black box, so there's a commonality for both of you, less 'me vs. you.'

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It is a great camera for setting on a cafe table. You will want a cable release. With experience, you can learn to estimate distance and field-of-view well enough to get usable photos without looking through the finder (not every time, of course). For street use, consider a monopod (a short one will do).

Gorgeous, big negatives.

A sturdy tripod and a bubble level will turn it into a portrait camera or a landscape camera.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Pritchard View Post
    It is a great camera for setting on a cafe table. You will want a cable release. With experience, you can learn to estimate distance and field-of-view well enough to get usable photos without looking through the finder (not every time, of course). For street use, consider a monopod (a short one will do).

Gorgeous, big negatives.

A sturdy tripod and a bubble level will turn it into a portrait camera or a landscape camera.
    Ironically I rarely if ever use a tripod with my TLR. It's nice wide base means if I do need to support it.. usually I can find a natural tripod.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    One thing about attaching a cable release to the shutter button. Notice the base of the button (the chassis) is threaded -- there is a collar you need to get to attach a standard cable release. You might be able to purchase a cable release with such a collar.

The shutter is such a light touch you may not need a cable release, and you've got the self-timer there too.
    Considerably AWOL at the present time...

Archive/Blog: http://davidwilliamwhite.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And no-one has mentioned yet ....... don't use the self-timer. Yashica TLR self-timers are notorious for jamming.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by David William White View Post
    You might be able to purchase a cable release with such a collar.
    Nikon's AR-2 cable release, for the F and F2 cameras, fits the Yashica TLRs perfectly. This should run about $10; unfortunately it's only about ten inches long. I haven't seen the adapters for sale in a long time (I have such an adapter for my Yashica 635, very similar to the D except it also takes 35mm film).
    “For me, the camera is a sketch book, an instrument of intuition and spontaneity.”
    ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wotalegend View Post
    And no-one has mentioned yet ....... don't use the self-timer. Yashica TLR self-timers are notorious for jamming.
    I've heard that one too. I respectfully suggest this a self-fulfilling prophesy. A self-timer that has gone unused for years (for fear of it jamming) may indeed be gunked up or have it's spring rusty or somesuch.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by wotalegend View Post
    Somewhere, possibly the original Yashica 635 instructions, I remember reading to use the self-timer only with the sync selector set to X (not M). My 635 works flawlessly and it is approaching 50 years old.
    “For me, the camera is a sketch book, an instrument of intuition and spontaneity.”
    ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Shooter
    Medium Format
    DW White, the MXV shutter used in the Yashica D (and 635 and Yashica-Mats) has a design flaw. If you try to use it when the flash sync is set to M, it will jam. I don't know the full extent of the jam, whether it can be fixed through disassembly or removal, or if it will need new parts. Yashica cautions about this in the manual, although they don't spell out the consequences of using the self-timer when set to M.

Not to say that you aren't right in many cases, age and lack of use can cause a mechanism like the self timer to lag or not function. But when people talk about not using the self-timer with the Yashica MXV shutters, what they are usually talking about is this specific design flaw.

A repair person like Mark Hama will install a small bolt to lock the M/X lever to X. A repair hack like me will simply break off the M/X lever when I have the shutter off for cleaning, leaving a small tab that can be reached through the side slot but no lever that can be knocked into the wrong position. I don't plan to use bulbs with the camera, so this is safe and cleaner for me. A collector will wince; as a user, I'll get over it.

The 'Leica Nipple' or Nikon F cable release adapter is usually on eBay for about $8-9 or less. Cable releases with the fitting permanently attached to the end also show up; I picked one up for $5 a while back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    ^ interesting!

Add: yes, just checked my manual, and it says:

"Caution! Be sure to move the synchronization selector to the X position when using Self-timer."

Thanks DD & RT for pointing this out.
    Last edited by David William White; 12-20-2009 at 11:26 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Quote from manual

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin