Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,615   Posts: 1,622,755   Online: 789

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yashica D?

Shooter
    Multi Format

Yashica D?

Hello everyone, I have just purchased a Yashica D and was wondering if anyone can tell me what to expect? I have never used a TLR camera before and was hoping to hear from the seasoned TLR shooter's on this topic. Maybe get some tips n' tricks. Also is this camera a good choice for street photography

Thanks, Meg

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Welcome to APUG! The Yashica is a fun camera. Just remember, in the great North, its a metal camera, and it gets cold as hell!

Anne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hahaha yes it gets very cold good tip! I have also invested in a not so attractive pair of mens hunting mittens the kind that flips so you can use your finger tips.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I love mine, beautiful negs & slides always. I've done portraiture, still life, landscape, but little street photography -- preferring to use it with a tripod, but that's just me. But because of the waist-level finder and the quiet shutter, it is great for candid photography.

Tips: You can hold it overhead to get over crowds & still compose. Wind on right after you trip the shutter so you don't forget. There are some wonderfully planned multiple exposure possibilities with laundry marker indexes on the ground glass. Save your spools & backing paper. If shooting without a tripod, fit a strap & hold taut with foot to reduce camera shake. Use the 'sport' frame when tracking moving objects. Be aware of parallax correction when shooting near objects. Be aware of exposure compensation when racked out. Make nice contact sheets and marvel at their beauty!
    Considerably AWOL at the present time...

Archive/Blog: http://davidwilliamwhite.blogspot.com

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    If it has the Yashikor lens, it should be beautifully soft wide open, for portraits and such, and nicely sharp stopped down to 8 or smaller. I was surprised when I tried the Yashica A I gave my father as a present a couple of years ago. The Yashikor is a little gem.

Shooter
    35mm
    I just developed my third roll with my Yashica D (also Yashikor lenses).
    Read all about it here.

Simply put: I love that camera! I love those contrasty BIG negatives it gives and I love shooting with it.

No light meter, so back to basics: aperture, shutterspeed, focus: click!
    I do have a small lightmeter, but sunny sixteen works really well and my HP5+ is rather forgiving...

Have fun!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    IMO TLR's are the best cameras available for doing Street work. Their quick composing and quiet operation make them superb. I use my Yashicamat LM as my main street camera

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks everyone I can't wait to try it!! I'll post some shots with it once I take a fresh roll.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just shot my wife and daughters portraits with mine last night. This is my second 'D' my first was bought in 69 and traded for a motorcycle a few years later. This one is a little older, and was picked up just over a year ago. I dont see any difference between the Yashicor and Yashinon for my purposes, I just love the feel and the memories(even the smell) using it evokes.

Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah I'm not all that concerned with the lenses in these cameras. Its more about the feel of the photographs produced by them for me. I have always loved 6x6 format, there is just something about a square for me that really adds something unique and special to the composition. I can't really explain it, also I kinda dig fuzzy or softly focused photographs!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin