Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,053   Online: 783

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Shooting 220 through a kiev 60

Hello, I have some 220 film that i want to shoot, but kiev 60s dont take 220. I searched all over and couldnt find anything about modding, or a trick. So i thought of my own trick, and I would like to know if you'd think it would work or mess stuff up... I was thinking that once i got to frame 12 on the counter, i would go into a darkroom (or a darkbag) and pop the back open just enough for the counter to start over. And since k60s can fire right after the counter is reset (no winding to get to frame 1), i would just have the first dot be frame 13 and the second be 14 etc. I just want to know what you all thought.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does the film advanace lock up at the end of a 120 Roll.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No actually it doesn't, it keeps winding (to allow film to fully roll to take up spool) but you can still wind and fire. So i suppose i could just keep shooting, and count how many frames i have shot.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't know if that particular trick would work, but I can say there's another problem it doesn't address. Because of the lack of backing paper, 220 film requires a different pressure plate distance to hold the film flat. Cameras designed to take it have switches on the plate or different holder systems for 120 and 220.

You could ignore this of course, but things might not be as sharp as they'd otherwise be with 220.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Leighgion View Post
    I don't know if that particular trick would work, but I can say there's another problem it doesn't address. Because of the lack of backing paper, 220 film requires a different pressure plate distance to hold the film flat. Cameras designed to take it have switches on the plate or different holder systems for 120 and 220.

You could ignore this of course, but things might not be as sharp as they'd otherwise be with 220.
    Or you could get scratches on the back of the film that will make the film hard to print.

Is there a red window on the 120 back to put a nice warm glow on every frame?
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guess it will not hurt to try it.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My Kiev 6C has a pressure plate with two positions, marked 120 and 220. If I were trying this, I would use small blocks of foam between the pressure plate and the back, to force the pressure plate just a bit more toward the film plane.

OR

Just try it. Maybe it will work.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Your name threw me off dave pritchard, one of my old friends has the same exact name (spelling and all). But thank you for the advice on the foam blocks. There is 120 in my camera now so i have to wait a few days to try it out, but i will be sure to let you all know how it turns out!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would stretch a piece of medium format backing paper across the pressure plate and tape the ends to the back door with gaffer tape, carry a changing bag with you, and try your trick. Of course, you will lose a healthy number of frames because you will have to advance the counter to number one. One test roll will tell you whether or not dragging the film across the fixed backing paper will cause any issues. If so, maybe you can get the piece of backing paper underneath the pressure plate somehow.

Personally, I would have the camera modified to remove the frame counter from the equation entirely, and just try to remember what frame I was on at all times.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The paper is a good idea. but how you said that you'd have to wind to frame 1, you dont, right when you shut the back of the camera, you can just shoot and wind. so i think it should work! thanks everybody, ill tell you how it goes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin