Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,948   Online: 773

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

More Hassy problems - Blank Frames

Still learning the 503cw I borrowed from uni and seem to be getting blank frames sometimes.

Not sure if it's a lens problem or a lens change problem. Basically did a test film swapping lenses ( between a 40mm and 80mm ) every few shots. After development some of the shots ( I think the 80mm ) are blank.

I took the shots using the following :-

wind film/cock shutter
    setup exposure on lens
    took shot
    wind film/cock shutter
    Swap lens
    setup exposure on lens
    took shot

For each shot I took with the two lenses to test the differences to work out the two lenses for the final shoots.

Any ideas what the problem is?

Thanks

Kat

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I also got some really wierd framing for some shots ( looks almost like it dropping into 645 mode )

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Kat,

The first description would point to one of the lens' shutter not working correctly.
    The second post however complicates thing. A defective shutter will of course not throw framing off.

So a difficult one to figure out.

It could be though that two separate problems coincide.
    The blank frames could be caused (as mentioned) by a shutter not working properly. If so, it of course should always happen when the same lens is used.

A blank frame could also be the result of not keeping the shutter pressed for long enough when doing long exposures. If that would be what happened, the blank frames could be of shots with either lens.

Frame spacing problems usually are the result of film not having been loaded properly, or wear/need for adjustment of the transport mechanism in the magazine.

Could you verify whether the blank frames all happened with one and the same lens, and not the other, on the camera?
    And could you describe the framing issue in more detail?

If your exposures were longer than about 1/15 second, you need to be sure to hold the shutter button or cable release button long enough for the lens to finish the exposure cycle. Otherwise, the second set of shutter doors at the back of the camera will close before the full exposure is made. I suggest you try firing the camera on a tripod without the film back on so you can see how this works. The second set of shutter doors is there to prevent light from hitting the film while you are viewing the scene with the lens open and the darkslide removed. Testing the camera in this manner will allow you to see if the lenses are working properly or not.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

This is an example, it's slightly cropped (but only 1mm or so ), of the framing issue.

This is the first 3 frames, I then left the camera, before returning to it and getting the blank frame issue.

I can't remember the shutter speed of the first shots although it may have been 1/15 or 1/30th. The later shots were all taken at 60th or faster and came out ( when they came out ) properly exposed.

Looks to be the 80mm that's playing up as :-

I am 99% sure was taken with the 40mm.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ok done some testing with back off.. would appear the 80mm lens (a synchro shuttered t* lens) is firing the shutter when the mirror goes up (even on B ) whereas in the 40mm I can see the shutter fire. Faulty lens or some sortable issue?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You should be able to see the shutter fire when looking through the back.
    I understand that the 80 mm's shutter fires early, while you can see the thing go off in the 40 mm?

Try the pre-release (button on the side of the camera, below the wind crank).
    Pre-release the camera, look through the back, and see what happens when you press the release button (keep the release button pressed until you are sure the lens shutter should have completed the exposure).

What you should see is the same with both lenses: when you press the shutter release, the shutter in the lens opens for the time set, and closes again.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks Q.C.

Using the pre-release the 40mm works as intended. The 80mm seems to complete it's firing cycle during the pre-release phase and thus never exposes when firing the shutter.

I think what I'll do is use my TLR for 80mm shots and the Hassy for the 40mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unfortunately, cameras loaned out by universities are often in less than great condition. Pros give their blads a hard life; students who don't foot the cost of repair give them an absolute caning...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The framing issue will then probably be due to the shutter in the lens not allowing the rear baffle door shutters to open completely in time. Not an issue with the magazine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin