Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,553   Posts: 1,573,138   Online: 748

Shooter
    Multi Format

How to expose properly with a yashica D??

I was wondering if anyone knows how to expose properly with a yashica D? It doesn't have a build in light meter and, I currently don't have a hand held light meter. I really want to use this camera but I don't want to waste film trying out experiments. I have heard of the sunny 16 rule but I have never tried it because I tend to shoot at night?? any help would be great!

Thanks, Meg

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A good overview-
    http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm

And a little pocket calculator-
    http://expomat.tripod.com/

Do a search for 'EV' or exposure value and you'll find various descriptions of various lightings. In general it is pretty consistent from source to source. Daylight is quite consistent. Artificial and night lighting, I can't help you much, sorry.

You can also use most digital cameras as light meters if you have one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you kindly! very useful sites indeed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might look around for a Russian Leningrad meter, these are small and remarkably cheap. I have one that came in a barch of darkroom equipment about 9 years ago and only began using it this Spring after testing it against a Luna Pro which it matched fairly well. Actually it's now on loan to another APUG member who's using it with his Yashica

They often sell for less than £10/$16.

Ian

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    You might look around for a Russian Leningrad meter, these are small and remarkably cheap. I have one that came in a barch of darkroom equipment about 9 years ago and only began using it this Spring after testing it against a Luna Pro which it matched fairly well. Actually it's now on loan to another APUG member who's using it with his Yashica

They often sell for less than £10/$16.

Ian

Ian
    and still going strong Ian although it's being used alongside a 'blad I've borrowed from Uni at the moment

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Leningrad was a good cheap meter as was the Weston Master V which can be found on Evil bay for pennies...
    Mark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here is a link to a slide type you can print on heavy paper & cut out

http://squit.co.uk/photo/files/Expos...ulatorMini.pdf
    "If you look at a thing nine hundred and ninety-nine times, you are perfectly safe; if you look at it the thousandth time, you are in frightful danger of seeing it for the first time." G.K.Chesterton

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here's a photo taken with my wife's Yashica D. This was taken several years ago using the exposure recommendations printed on the box. The 5x5 print was scanned on my flatbed. But still representative.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0038.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	16125
    "If you look at a thing nine hundred and ninety-nine times, you are perfectly safe; if you look at it the thousandth time, you are in frightful danger of seeing it for the first time." G.K.Chesterton

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you want to go Old School, grab a Selenium meter off Ebay for ten bucks.
    Make sure the seller describes it as operational. The meter needle mechanism of a decades-old meter can get gooped up.

Here's a site describing a number of models.
    http://www.jollinger.com/photo/meter...cimeter_s.html
    More general info, including instructions, etc. at http://www.jollinger.com/photo/meters/index.html

I found a Weston IV at a camera show for 3 bucks. It's accurate and works great for most subjects, although I'd hesitate to rely on it to meter a high contrast scene shot with slide film.

Any of the meters on the above site will be more accurate than a 'sunny 16' guesstimate.

As mentioned, most any digital or film camera can be used to generate an accurate aperture/shutter combination for your MF beast. I use my T90 and it's wonderful multi-spot meter when shooting my MF and 4x5 cameras. The results are dead-on, even when shooting transparencies.

-Greg
    Last edited by Greg Campbell; 12-25-2009 at 04:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin