Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,595   Online: 1078

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I see i was writing my "P.S." while you were writing your question about GMS cameras.
    The arrangement in cameras with the new mirror geometry differs, is not the same in all different GMS cameras. As mentioned in my "P.S.", the 503 CW has a metal blade spring instead of foam pads. I must check to be sure, but i believe that indeed some other do not have a similar, analogous device.

Shooter
    Medium Format

500c/m miirror problem?

My 500c/m works fine, however after firing (uncocked position) the front of the mirror hangs down some 4mm or so into the front body opening. When I push it back up it stays in place but the tension is definitely less than that of my 501c's mirror. Exposures are not vignetted or otherwise affected. Is there a part that needs to be changed or serviced? Appreciate any help on this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    No. If you don't care about the vignetting, there is no other advantage the bigger mirror would offer that would make the models with the gliding mirror more desirable.
    Possible that the mirror mechanism in the 555 ELD is more robust (it's the only 'ordinary' Hasselblad having the NASA-specification version of the mirror mechanism).

And no, there are no disadvantages to the gliding mirror either.

So if you don't mind the vignetting, and you can find a well kept 500 C/M (both entirely feasible), no need to get a more expensive newer model.
    same here for the 501c model.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love the 500 C/M for super long night shots because I can use the T lock setting right on the shutter release and not need a cable release, a feature my 501 C/M does not have, FYI...
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The vignetting becomes dramatically worse once you introduce extension tubes into the mix. I wrestled with it fiercely when I was doing night-time portrait work with my ELM and 500C, it was annoying on the 150 with a 10mm extension tube, it was downright frustrating on the 250 with a 56mm extension tube...sometimes the 10mm and the 56mm. Easily 1/4 of my frame or more was obscured, meaning to I had to drastically adjust my tripod to focus on their eyes, and readjust it to frame each person the way I wanted. A veritable nightmare. My heart ached for a 501CM at that point.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    Possible that the mirror mechanism in the 555 ELD is more robust (it's the only 'ordinary' Hasselblad having the NASA-specification version of the mirror mechanism).
    Q.G, do you know which upgrades have been done to the "NASA - specification" mirrorassembly?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Richard View Post
    Q.G, do you know which upgrades have been done to the "NASA - specification" mirrorassembly?
    Q.G. has left the building.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank God!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by speculum View Post
    My 500c/m works fine, however after firing (uncocked position) the front of the mirror hangs down some 4mm or so into the front body opening. When I push it back up it stays in place but the tension is definitely less than that of my 501c's mirror. Exposures are not vignetted or otherwise affected. Is there a part that needs to be changed or serviced? Appreciate any help on this.
    you need a separate thread.
    try firing on B without a lens is it the same with button held down? if it drops after exposure it won't affect photos otherwise long night shots may have internal reflections.
    could be missing foam mirror bumper not got mine to hand to try think it closes completely but don't see how that would cause a problem as you describe
    a 500c has a foam bumper or my old one had...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mesh View Post
    Q.G. - thank you very much. That makes total sense now. So does that means a gliding mirror still has the foam pads or are they unnecessary for that type of mirror? The original tech I used said the mirror foam would only last 7 years at best... but then tech's are often over-cautious ;-) Anyway thanks a lot - I feel as though I have almost 'got it' now!
    You are right when you say the gliding mirror system does not have the supporting foam pads and will not have the problem with the foam pads perishing. The reasons for the foam perishing are hard to track down. For many years it was hardly ever a problem and then the foam supports of the mirror and other foam components of cameras started to fail after a few years and I know the factory didn't change the material. This is just a guess from me but it seemed to happen after catalytic converters were first made mandatory for cars (in the UK at least) and many of you will remember the familiar rotten egg smell that some cars gave off, I hardly ever smell that now. You may have your own conspiracy theory, lets hear them.
    I am pleased to say that things appear to have improved and the new foam material now used seems to have a much longer life.

Douglas Fairbank
    www.classicv.co.uk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin