Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,808   Posts: 1,581,515   Online: 1005

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by edtbjon View Post
    As for lenses. As you intend to shoot studio flash, the TTL/OTF flash meter will not work anyhow (you'll need a camera-mounted flash for that to work), but you have to rely on your existing meter and metering skills.
    //Björn
    Somewhat misleading...

There ARE "Studio Flashes" that will interface with the OTF system; but they are *VERY* expensive (ProFoto has one, IMS.)

Dedicated flash systems, from Hasselblad/ Metz, and other manufacturers, through SCA adapters, work WELL, and efficiently meter the flash component of the exposure.
    For painfully *fine* work, metering and calculating ratios, etc., is always necessary.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Robert White are excellent to deal with.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    One of the really nice things about a Hasselblad (or any other well made mechanical camera of course) is that after a CLA from a good tech, you essentially have a new camera. Not sure if you have a good Hasselblad tech in Ireland, but if you do, I'd be inclined to get almost any second hand 503CW you can find because the bucket load you will save can go into a CLA (think of it as insurance) and some nice glass.

Any 503CW is going to be fairly new and (you would assume) in pretty good condition anyway. I just couldn't imagine it really being worth going for one new these days - certainly at prices they are here in Australia. A 'near mint' body tends goes for about a quarter of the new price. Your husband is a good man BTW! It's always worth getting EXACTLY want you want or you end up paying for it down the track anyway ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You're so helpful, thanks guys (and girls). It seems if I order from RW or elsewhere in London there is a 3 weeks wait before it arrives. I wonder if it is made to order? Everyone tells me this system (V) is being slowly phased out and the 503CW is the last one that would ever be made. I am finding that new prices in Europe are surprisingly on par with US for once.

Thanks for comments about metering. I am more-than-happy with my L-508 and metering-wise for studio flash I find that just too straightforward to worry about the camera doing that job. What I am wondering, however, is if I would suddenly love taking the Hasselblad out in the open and missing some metering functionality. I guess it is not a pocket camera, but it would be nice not to lug the 508 with me. Still, I could get a small and dinky meter or just estimate - B&W film is so blissfully good for estimating...

I am trawling through EU retailers now.

Merry Christmas!
    Rafal

PS. Husband says I don't like to have someone else's dings on my cameras, which is a bit true, but I have a few 2nd hand lenses, some bought from members here, which I like to use a lot with my LF.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rafal,

I own and use a very lightly used (near mint) Hasselblad 503CW which I bought from Ebay. The original owner lived in Northern Ireland so I had no customs duties etc to pay.

Couldn't afford to buy new - although if your husband feels you deserve it then why not!

I have to say i do not regret buying a nice used camera and it has performed faultlessly for me for the last few years.

If you want to buy new then go through DML in ParkWay Industrial Estate beside the m50. They are the Hasselblad Stockists here in Ireland.

Also, DML use a guy I have known for many years to service Hasselblads - his name is Alan McDonald and his phone number is 087 1350345. His business partner is Declan and his number is 087 9891001.
    I can recommend their work and they might even know of or have a Hasselblad that you can buy?

Anyway, If you need to know more just send me a pm.

S.
    Last edited by seoirse; 12-24-2009 at 10:26 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: can't type for buttons.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ffordes, in your neck of the woods, has a lot of them.

https://secure.ffordes.com/index.htm
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the East Texas Rain forest. Apprentice Analog Activist.
    ... And to paraphrase Yoda, there is no how, only do.
    Vaughn
    My Photos Online

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rafal View Post
    You're so helpful, thanks guys (and girls). It seems if I order from RW or elsewhere in London there is a 3 weeks wait before it arrives. I wonder if it is made to order? Everyone tells me this system (V) is being slowly phased out and the 503CW is the last one that would ever be made. I am finding that new prices in Europe are surprisingly on par with US for once.
    Welcome to the elite club of snobs!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Welcome to the elite club of snobs!

Steve
    Enjoy your 503CW if you get one Rafal - they are lovely cameras. But I would advise against joining Steve's club of snobs as it seems to involve a lot of tedious marketing obligations...

Robert White are really very good to deal with if you decide to buy stuff from the UK. (I am considerably poorer as a result!)

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by iandavid View Post
    Enjoy your 503CW if you get one Rafal - they are lovely cameras. But I would advise against joining Steve's club of snobs as it seems to involve a lot of tedious marketing obligations...

Ian
    Hey, I am just jerkin' your chain which evidently I did. Come on Ian, you should know me better than that by now.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Hey, I am just jerkin' your chain which evidently I did. Come on Ian, you should know me better than that by now.

Steve
    Thanks Steve. My chain was jerked, but I feel better as a result - just in time for upcoming Xmas lunch

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin