Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,646   Posts: 1,481,266   Online: 738

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Debating a new MF Camera

Well new to me at least..

I LOVE 6x6 and for much of my 6x6 work I'll continue to use my Yashicamat but there are times when the fixed lens isn't ideal and thus a SLR ( or Mamiya ) would be better.. Been researching options and trying to figure out best option..

Based on current ebay.co.uk prices (for second hand kit ) :-
    SQA - £300 with 80mm/WLF
    Hassy 200FC - £400 with 80mm/wlf
    Pentax 67 - £330 (approxx)
    Mamiya C330 - £200 (approxx)

I know the Pentax is 6x7 but looked at it as it's close to square. I then looked at the only affordable new options.. Yep you've guessed it the remanufactuered Kievs.

Kiev 60/Arax MLU Standard - £220 (approx) including TTL Finder etc.
    Kiev 88/Arax non-MLU Basic - £220 (approx) WLF/80mm/film holder
    Kiev 60/Hartblei MLU Standard - £150 (approx) including TTL Finder etc.
    Kiev 88/Hartblei non-MLU Basic - £300 (approx) including TTL Finder etc.

My gut instinct is to go for either a Hartblei Kiev 60 or a Arax non-MLU 88. I am assuming both options are a lot more consistant and reliable than the base Kiev models and it is based on this assumption that for the level of use ( quite light weight use overall ) I am going to do these two options represent the best value for money.

Thoughts?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If you are used to a Yashicamat and like 6x6 then buy both the Bronica SQA and the Hasselblad 200FC (for those prices how can you resist?) and then re-sell the one you decide not to keep.

I suppose the Hassleblad would end up being much more expensive than the Bronica if you planned to buy other lenses in addition to the 80mm.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Oh should mention - budget is tight. Could stretch to all the listed camera's obviously but not much more.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    At today's prices, you should seriously consider the Hassy. The Zeiss glasses are superior. You might even wait and save some more money first. Mamya, Pentax and Bronica are not too bad, but no cigar. Today when everything is second hand you might as well go for the real thing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Think a bit about the cost of the lenses you want. You already have a normal lens on the Yashica. The cost of additional lenses will probably tilt you toward the Mamiya or Bronica. I had a Mamiya and it is hard to beat for the price. The size of a 3 lens kit is really small too. That said, I sold mine and bought a Hasselblad 500c/m when I could afford it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would choose the Bronica SQA system, the whole system is quite inexpensive these days. When you can afford it, you can easily get a spare body, and the backs and lenses you need. The Hasselblad system is a splendid system, but the lenses are still much more expensive. Bronica lenses are very good. I have a quite old Bronica S2A system, and the lenses are generally top notch.

Trond

Shooter
    35mm
    I can recommend the only 6X6 camera I own, which is the Pentacon Six TL. It's inexpensive, relatively compact and my three CZJ lenses (80mm, 120mm and 50mm) are excellent and leave nothing to be desired. In fact, I must have looked at literally thousands of images taken with medium format gear before I made my decision. I believe that in the bang-for-the-buck category the Pentacon can't be beaten.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Trond View Post
    I would choose the Bronica SQA system, the whole system is quite inexpensive these days. When you can afford it, you can easily get a spare body, and the backs and lenses you need. The Hasselblad system is a splendid system, but the lenses are still much more expensive. Bronica lenses are very good. I have a quite old Bronica S2A system, and the lenses are generally top notch.

Trond
    FWIW, I'm also quite happy with an SQ (Ai model, not that it much matters). Since you're on a budget, you should know that Bronica WF finders are somewhat rare and thus expensive. Several prisms are available. http://www.tamron.com/bronica/prod/sq.asp
    Holler if you have any specific questions!
    Flee, puny digicams, flee for your life!
    The mighty Bronicasaurus can smell your fear! ROAAARRR!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are going the used route, from those you've listed, the Bronica SQ-Ai or SQ-B would be a good option. Not only is it within budget, but the additional lenses and accessories are reasonable prices too.

The Arax 60 would be the safest of the new camera options - it's a simpler camera than the 88CM. You get access to an extensive range of affordable lenses and accessories, and the cameras themselves are pretty reliable too. Of course, with the 60, you lose the interchangeable backs. I've had good experiences dealing with Araxphoto, and would have no hesitation in recommending them.

The Hassie is tempting, but getting additional lenses is going to cost more than any of the other alternatives you've listed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Bronica SQ-B (80mm PS lens and 50mm P lens) and its a very good system, the lenses are excelent and pretty cheap. My whole setup (camera body, 2 backs the speed grip and the 2 lenses above) only cost about £350.
    Currently shooting: KMZ Horizont and Minox B

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin