Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,688   Online: 1064

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

zeiss ikon ikoflex 1a

i'm planning to get my first medium format camera... one of my friend want to sell me zeiss ikon ikoflex 1a,f3.5/70 Tessar( 854/16) which belong to his family,from his description,the camera is functioning perfectly,and the lens is also clear from any dust,haze.
    some information from the internet:-

http://www.pacificrimcamera.com/pp/z...ex/ikoflex.htm

http://www.wctatel.net/web/crye/z-i120.htm

can anybody comments anything about this camera?

thanks in advance..

Images
    They are very adequate cameras, just as good as a Rolleicord. The Tessar lens is a typical Tessar, decently sharp with the 'special' Tessar glow. The focusing screen is much brighter than a Rollei, they come with a fresnel installed. Depending on what the price is will determine if it's a good deal.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I recollect that W. Eugene Smith used to use Ikoflex cameras during the WWII period -- he may have thought them preferable to Rolleis. I have two Ikoflex TLRs, and the one issue I've had is that the focus knob can loosen and may not re-attach very tightly. But I like the photos I've taken with it.

kwm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I bougth this camera last year in Germany and payed 50 EURO for it. My camera needs a CLA.

I have a manual (afaik from butkus.org) The shutter is a bit tricky so read the manual pages several times before you start using this camera.

Karl

Shooter
    Medium Format

Ikoflex Coffeecan 850/16 (First Version)

I as well have had a vintage Ikoflex from the 1930s. I have never really been a fan of this camera just because it is so clumsy and heavy to use.

I actually inherited it from an Aunt who was stationed in Germany during the airlift and I guess this was one spoil of war. I've owned it for over 10 years now and had it refurbished about 8 years ago. It is fully functional and shows little wear.

I want to sell it on Ebay but not sure what to list it at. It doesn't have a case, or a manuel.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I cant disagree more with this comment... no offence.

I just recently bought an immaculate Ib and although i havent put a roll through it YET, I consider it to be one of the most glamorous TLRs to ever be made. The optics on them have great reviews and being Zeiss, I would be sure it should be! The handling I find to be simple and balanced, the controls also aren't too difficult to get a grasp on, once you learn the process of course.

Buy it! and enjoy my friend
    www.photique.posterous.com - dedicated film and vintage camera blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    oh here is mine to show you how amazing they look!

www.photique.posterous.com - dedicated film and vintage camera blog

TBN
    Fredericks Harbour (Frederikshavn), Denmark
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought a 1a for about a month ago, and already shot one roll with it.. (I have some pictures with it in my gallery).
    The condition is almost like it's never been used. The leather case looks brand new, and I paid about 50£ (82$) for it.

I found a manual online, and it can be a bit tricky the first time, to get to know the winding mechanism/film counter - but then it's as simple as that.
    It is my first medium format camera, and I must say, I love it ! It really draws attention when out shooting with it. :o)

Go for it! :o)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have an early 855/16 (a.k.a IIa) with T-coated Opton Tessar but, since I prefer Schneider lenses, I don't use it that much. Nice camera, though.

Shooter
    35mm RF

Personal preference

This camera has its fans, and its appearance and the photos it can produce provide ample basis for respect. I had one, admired the look of it, but decided that its handling and ergonomics were emphatically not for me. Check out how you like the shutter release position, the operation of the hood and finder, the film loading and winding sequence, and the feel (smoothness, drag, travel) of the focusing. Also consider the shutter speed range and sequence (non-linear). It's a question of personal fit, true of any camera, but some designs are more user-friendly than others.
    Last edited by prumpkah; 07-31-2011 at 12:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin