Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,493   Posts: 1,542,983   Online: 893

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Images

first real Bessa III issue

A week ago I got myself the new Voigtländer Bessa III. And I just discovered a small issue that concerns me a bit.

The little focus rectangle in the middle of the viewfinder is a bit askew, in that it seems to be slightly rotated 2-3° counter clockwise. It is still a perfect rectangle but just rotated a little. At first sight it just seems to be just a cosmetic issue but at a price of 1800 Euro this shouldn't happen. I also do not know if this could also cause incorrect focusing. I haven't yet developed any negs. I think it is also a little bit disturbing when trying to get the picture perfectly horizontal.

Have you seen anything like this on the Bessa III or any other viewfinder camera? Can you explain how this happens? Maybe this is just normal and I have to live with it? Should I sent the camera in for repair? Should I bother?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'd contact Fuji about it. Normally a rangefinder has adjustments for horizontal and vertical alignment, and usually if something is out of alignment the moving and stationary rangefinder images may be misaligned, but the horizontal lines should be parallel and the vertical lines of the two boxes should be parallel. Askew like this is not what one would expect.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bonk View Post
    A week ago I got myself the new Voigtländer Bessa III. And I just discovered a small issue that concerns me a bit.

The little focus rectangle in the middle of the viewfinder is a bit askew, in that it seems to be slightly rotated 2-3° counter clockwise. It is still a perfect rectangle but just rotated a little. At first sight it just seems to be just a cosmetic issue but at a price of 1800 Euro this shouldn't happen. I also do not know if this could also cause incorrect focusing. I haven't yet developed any negs. I think it is also a little bit disturbing when trying to get the picture perfectly horizontal.

Have you seen anything like this on the Bessa III or any other viewfinder camera? Can you explain how this happens? Maybe this is just normal and I have to live with it? Should I sent the camera in for repair? Should I bother?

I just had a look through the viewfinder of my Bessa III and indeed the focusing rectangle seems to be rotated just a tad counter-clockwise. This may be normal, or perhaps it is an optical illusion. I personally had not even noticed it until I saw your message.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Images
    The question now is how would I contact Voigtländer or Fuiji about this directly? I wouldn't want to go the detour through my reseller (my lab that usually doesn't sell equipment) to contact them.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Just bought one, and the focus rectangle is slightly askew as well. Same angle. For horizontal orientation I use the frame and it focuses perfectly, so I don't think I'll bother taking it up with the reseller.
    Bert

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BertH View Post
    Just bought one, and the focus rectangle is slightly askew as well. Same angle. For horizontal orientation I use the frame and it focuses perfectly, so I don't think I'll bother taking it up with the reseller.
    Bert
    I just checked my vewfinder with some vertical bars and even though the small focusing rectangle appears to be somewhat askew (rotated clockwise) its vertical edge lines up on the same vertical as the edge of the large viewing frame.

So I believe in the case of my camera at least the small rectangle is not actually askew, it only appears to be so.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Even if the window is askew, if both vertical and horizontal features line-up perfectly inside when focusing (which means the rangefinder is in completely in-line both vertically and horizontally) then it's only a cosmetic issue...

Regards,
    Loris.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi,
    I hadn't checked before, but Sandy's post prompted me to do so: checked with vertical lines (top and bottom of a door). The bright patch is actually slightly rotated counterclockwise. However, I agree with Loris that it's only a cosmetic issue.
    Early wishes for a Happy Newyear, Bert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Bessa III 's Rangefinder rectangle is also like the drawing above. This must be a normal condition of the camera. I have noticed no photo focus problems in the images I have shot.

Jamie
    Keep Film Alive, Shoot Everyday!
    JamiesInfraredPhotography.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    It could be influenced by the position of the secondary window or its mask.

As long as it focuses correctly and it's in alignment horizontally and vertically, it's not anything that should be cause for concern.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin