Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,104   Online: 890

Shooter
    Medium Format

Difference between a Hasselblad 40 CFE and 40 CFE IF

I am considering one of these lenses (the former used and much cheaper). What are the differences as the Hasselblad site PDF's don't download correctly on my computer.

If after many years of service, my 200 series Hasselblads fail and cannot be repaired, what other cameras, if any, can I use the FE series of lenses on?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 40mm CFE and CFE IF will work on any Hasselblad 200 or 500 series. It has a leaf shutter as well as the electronic contacts for the 200 series. I have a CFE and it is a great lens.

Terry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ymc226 View Post
    I am considering one of these lenses (the former used and much cheaper). What are the differences as the Hasselblad site PDF's don't download correctly on my computer.
    The IF version has better resolving power.
    The non-IF is near perfect in the image center, but performance of the IF version drops much less going away from the center.
    And the performance of the IF-version in the center itself is even a bit better as well.

But that comes at a price: distortion has more than doubled (max. 3.6% of image height), compared to the non-IF (max. 1.5%).

The IF was advertised as a "digital" lens. And yes: if you can clip away (like too small sensor do) the bits where distortion really is terrible (the edges and corners of the frame) and keep the near perfect center performance, it would be one of the very best lenses ever made.
    For normal, "full frame" film photography, i think the non-IF version is preferable.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin