Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,016   Online: 1050

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Trading a Hasselblad for Mamiya Rb/z67

Hasselblad 500C/m
    WLF
    Split image Acute mate d screen
    80mm planar + hood
    2 x 120 backs
    Yellow, Orange, Closeup +2, UV
    Various little accessories

If I were to put this up for trade and ask for a Mamiya Rb or rz 67 what do you think I would be able to get? What is reasonable? It is just a passing thought since I really cant get into this square groove and the close up focus + larger negs is kind of tempting me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If what you have is in good shape I would say it is worth more money than an RB/RZ kit of similar nature - at least here in the states the RBs are a dime a dozen. They are fine cameras but... unless you have the RB stuck on a tripod it is unwieldy IMO.

Get yourself an extension tube and be happy. Print whatever kind of print you want to print. 95% if all commercial work I ever did with my Hasselblads were NOT printed square. Although I do print a lot of my personal work square.

RB

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hey Krzys - that's a really nice kit, and as a rough guesstimate should fetch around $A 1500 if it's a CF lens and in decent nick. I'd sell it first rather than do a swap - I think you'd find it much easier, and have enough left over for quite a lot of film ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it's any help to you, B&H has a similar kit graded 8+ for $1299 US

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Its an old chrome planar, uncoated

Im just thinking out loud. I have no real intention unless something really stands out, since I've been swapping gear around for awhile now.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have both. The RB67 that i have is like new (fewer than than 22 rolls through it ) so longevity is not an issue for me. I use a 50mm and 140mm (both c lenses ) with it and both are extremely sharp. I can not tell any difference between them and my hasselblad lenses. I like the square format of the hassy a lot but also have no problem with the 6+7 format of the RB67. It is almost a square and can be printed that way if you wish. If you can find a clean example of the RB67 i say go for it. I prefer the RB67 pro S version over the electronic RZ series as they are mechanical cameras that can easily be fixed. Use the camera that you like the best and dont worry about the value difference. They are both great cameras! Don

Shooter
    35mm
    Your Planar is coated. Just not the fancy T* coating.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the East Texas Rain forest. Apprentice Analog Activist.
    ... And to paraphrase Yoda, there is no how, only do.
    Vaughn
    My Photos Online

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As RB says, the Hasselblad kit is probably worth more than a similar RB/RZ 67 kit, at least it would be here, so in an even sort of trade you might look to get two or perhaps more lenses with the RB.
    If you think the rectangle would really fit you better, then why not? I once traded a Hasselblad kit for a new F3 and some lenses. I never looked back, at least not until a couple of years ago, and decided to cash in on the falling Hasselblad prices. I'd give the RB/RZ a good try-out first. They are quite a handful. But, they are well balanced and so massive that it makes them easy to handhold in a perverse sort of way. Though I'm not sure I'd want to do it for a day, or even several hours.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you are into close-up work. the RB67 also has a nice feature where the exposure compensation needed for the bellows extension is listed right on the side of the camera for whatever point the lens is focused at. Very handy if close-up work is your thing.
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's a tough call. Mamiya lenses for the RB and RZ cameras are right up there in quality with the best of them, so I don't see that as a real concern. Even the ones that are supposed to be dogs are better than good. I seriously doubt that lens quality would be an issue. Hasselblad prices have fallen a lot in recent years, but the cameras and lenses still command more than the equivalent Mamiya RB/RZ series gear. There's no doubt that the Mamiya cameras are bigger and heavier, but they are also more versatile. Closeup work is a snap because of the bellows focusing. There's no need for expensive additional accessories to do macro work if that's your thing. The same types of finders are available for both systems, so it's a draw there. The biggest advantage I see favoring the Mamiya system is the larger 6x7 negative that requires very little cropping to fit the standard paper sizes. The square negative, on the other hand, requires that you discard a lot of the negative's real estate to fit the rectangular format. Printing square for a 6x7 negative, by comparison, requires that you discard very little of the negative's real estate. The choice is up to you, of course, but I'd consider a trade if I could get a good body, a finder, a couple of backs, and at least two lenses for the Mamiya system in trade for your Hasselblad gear.
    Last edited by fschifano; 12-29-2009 at 11:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Frank Schifano

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin