Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,713   Posts: 1,483,024   Online: 695

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Holga 6x6 model looks to me like the perfect camera to tinker with. Has anyone modified one of these to use salvaged lenses and shutters? From the posts of Holga prints I have seen the camera seems to be a respectable lightproof container and film transporter. Holding the film flat without scratching is about all you can ask for twenty bucks. Who knows what a clever person could produce using a good salvage lens & shutter assebly from an old folder or a TLR parts camera?

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    check the toy camera group. I will have to check the web address and get back to you, but Leon and several others here are very involved with that group. There is someone who does a lot of modifications with Holga's.

Perhaps Leon will have that information.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gma,

from what I've heard and read (i.e. 2nd hand knowledge) the Holgas are very prone to light leaks. If all you want is a box to hold film flat while you put an old folder/TLR lens on it, why not get an old folder/TLR? You could buy one or two for what you'd pay for a holga... I mean, If a mediocre lens is what you want, buy a mediocre camera, right?

I know, that takes all the fun out :-)

Anyway, check out freestyle, in their catalog they sell a wolga (sp?), a Holga with a glass lens. Might be what you want, Although I'd rather have more shutter speeds and f-stops.

Keeping in mind that I had a mediocre TLR, I'd rather buy another TLR than a Holga

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Perhaps John will jump into this discussion. He has been doing a lot of work with these cameras as have several other students; myself included.

We are finding very few if any leaks; feeling perhaps it is flare. At least so far. But this is a small sample

I have modified mine to use with 35 mm film; so the image spills over into the rebate. Because of this use I do have the frame indicator taped over, but that is all. No leak issues.

With the holga in 120 mode there is a issue with the hot shoe placement which will need taping. Some type of hole that can be a light problem. With using the mask; i.e. 645 frame, that does not come into play.,

There is a special look to this images and they are great fun as it really frees your mind from everything except the image . Interesting dynamtic.
    Check Leon's work with Holga. Wonderful stuff.

Diane's do have some serious leak problems as they were the fore runner for toy camera work.

Check Jonathan Bailey's website for beautiful diane work. He also uses split toning which really places the images on a different level. Lovely, ethereal work.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    holga light leaks are easliy remedied - only takes 5 minutes to fit a bit of light proof material around the seals and to tape up several points inside the camera (not all need this though - depends if you get a good one or not). I spray the film chamber with matt black paint too - you get less internal reflections and a purer image that way,

It is excellent fun to tinker with Holgas - I love 'em. And the soft plastic body makes it really easy to attach things.

I would definitely recommend one.

(BTW - thanks for the plug ann!)

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    www.holgamods.com if ya don't wanna fool with the mods yourself. or can give you ideas for your own mods.
    lee\c

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For some reason I thought the Holga was 6x6 , but I see now that it is actually 4.5x6.
    It sounds like more trouble than it is worth, even though I am a chronic tinkerer.
    Thanks for the advise and website referrals.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    the holga is only 6x4.5 with the6x4.5 insert, but it is 6x6 if you take it out - it is both. If you were to buy one of the new ones on ebay from the hong kong sellers, you can get a 6x6 insert - it's everything and nothing.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It is not much trouble, probably about 5 minutes of tinkering.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin