Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,640   Online: 726

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Fuji 6x9 rangefinder. hand hold with fast film, flash sync up 1/500. With slow film rivals 4x5 with a VERY sharp lens. Very light for its size. This is my vacation camera.

The only annoyance is that the shutter goes "Ping!"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't travel anymore due to medical reasons, but if I did, and I didn't want to bring a 35mm camera, my vote would be for a 6x6 rangefinder folder with a good lens on it (like any of Tessar equivalents, or an actual Tessar).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Lots of good info -thanks- I read up on the Mamiya gear stripping problems and the lack of parts - kind of wonder on that one. I should have listed my specs a little better. I really don't want the -kick-around-in-the-Jeep-lost-in-luggage- camera to be $1000 loss. The RF cameras look great because of their size and weight. I am not sure I am willing to to spend that kind of bucks. There are no cheap ones - in my economy- This is not a primary - it is in addition to the Rollei system - and all the LF and ULF etc. It looks like the difference between the ETRS and the ETRSI is mirror lockup and some extras in the viewfinder. (the travel camera doesn't need mirror lock up) I found an ETRS with AE II finder, 120 back and 75 2.8 PE lens for $365. (About the cost of a C220) That is a little more comfy for my budget and the risk. Otherwise - I could go pump iron and carry that Rollei. I just can get over how inexpensive these Bronicas are - - So are they any good? I guess the 6x4.5 cameras are lighter than the 6x6 versions - It looks a lot smaller. And is it reliable? I know that if I continue to do weddings, I'll need another MF Body and I can get this one and have a 40, 75 and 200mm lens out the door for $884. To know that I can replace the body for a little over a hundred bucks is pretty enticing. The lenses are all shutter lenses and they are easily half to a third the cost of any other glass I have acquired.
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just curious why you haven't considered the Mamiya 645...not the newer Super/Pro/ProTL etc but just a 645 or 1000s. These are in the same price range, there are a lot more of them out there, this is pretty much my main MF set up now, using WL finder, and a 55, 80 and 210 glass - which was very nice and cost was low.

Just another option...though I also use a Bessa folder when I don't want to 'lug' equipment around.
    Mike C

Rambles

Images
    I have been toting around a Yashicamat. I am getting weary of the single coated lens that is not sharp below f5.6
    So, you must have a Mat with a Yashikor lens; one of the models with the Yashinon lens, like the 124 or 124G, might give you better results. You could also consider a Minolta Autocord. I have both, and prefer the 'Cord. It's a fine piece of gear, and ergonomically is IMHO the best of the TLRs.

If you want cheap.......... I picked up an Iskra, a Russian camera which is a knockoff of one of the later Zeiss folders. It's a 6x6 with a coupled rangefinder. Build quality is not great, but so far I've had no troubles with it, and it actually is capable of very sharp pictures. I paid $45.00 for mine.
    "If You Push Something Hard Enough, It Will fall over" - Fudd's First Law of Opposition

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I sure understand the budget issue.

A wedding photog freind uses the Mamiya 645e. With the grip it is very handholdable and cheap. You also have the option of a very nice line of lenses.

IMHO. I like rangefinders over slr's for street photography everytime. They are lighter, smaller, easier to hold at slower speeds, and the design generaly allows for no compromise optics.

Images
    I have a SQA which I bought used 8 or 9 years ago when I lived in SW Florida. I used it there is 100% humidity and salt air. I now live in New Mexico and have used it here in very dusty dry conditions. The camera has never failed me. Just finally sent it back to Bronica/Tamron for a CLA. I use the older P lenses, not the newer PS lenses which are the equivalent of the PE lenses. I love the look of the P lenses and have no qualms about them. The camera, even without the speed grip, is very hand holdable, even more so with the grip.

The ETRS series is smaller than the SQA. You have the option of switching films with the separate film backs. (The film backs sold me on the SQA) You will not be disappointed with a Bronica, especially at the price they are going for now. And as far as a wedding camera, the photograph who did my wedding used an ETRSi.

Good luck.

Brian

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have travelled extensively with a ETRS with 75, 40 and 150mm lenses. Takes a lot less room than many 35mm outfits...

Nowadays I'm more likely to bring along a 9x12cm Voigtländer Bergheil, with a MF folder (Zeiss or Voigtländer) as "backup". The backup is necessary because I only have four film holders for the Bergheil...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    127 Format
    I'd also consider the Fuji 645Zi.

Personally I'd take my yashica 44, or baby Rollei. They're small, cheap and great fun, but put out a neg thats almost medium format... (but then I'm biased).

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The ETRS has a zoom lens available too, so it can make a more compact travel package. I have two SQAs and one SQAi and my only complaint about the system is most of the lenses won't focus close enough to do decent closeups. I'm waiting for enough money to spare for the 110mm Macro PS lens. I've already got extension tubes and a bellows attachment but they are a PIA to use.
    Gary Beasley

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin