Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,773   Posts: 1,484,399   Online: 1137

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    When I travel - I want a camera that will pack small - not weigh too much and give me negatives that I can really work with. Not being satisfied with cute little film, I have been toting around a Yashicamat. I am getting weary of the single coated lens that is not sharp below f5.6 and my Rollei is too big and too expensive to tote. So I am wondering about an upgrade. I wonder if the Bronica ETRSi would be a good choice. It looks smaller and lighter than the SL66 Rollei. It looks like half the cost of my Rollei for a used one. I don't travel with a compliment of lenses but I could manage a wide (40) lens that would really compliment the standard 75mm lens. I read some reviews that said to stay away from the 75 MC and get the EII lens? Anyway there is also the Mamiya C330 too. Am I heading in the right direction here? A Bronica would also make a good backup camera for the few weddings I do as well. I would consider a Hassy but that wouldn't be the travel camera - Better to loose or damage a Bronica than a Hassy.
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    [quote="fhovie"]When I travel - I want a camera that will pack small

Have you had a look at the Fuji range ? I have a 645 S, which has a 60mm lens and although this was an early model, I believe the range has been developed over the years and made more versatile.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    You really don't want to be carrying around a Mamiya C330 if you are travelling. The C220 would be a better choice as it is smaller and lighter and gives you everything a 330 does, but even then it's not ideal.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Roy has a good idea, format wise. Check out the Fuji 645zi. Basically a point and shoot on steroids. Fuji no longer makes them, so you should be able to get one used. Medium format, zoom lens, small light and easy to carry around.
    A New Project! Transformations 02/02/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you do go for an ETRSi, try to get PE series lenses. These are the latest and greatest and are very good.
    Heat or light; it depends on your sensitivity.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I just picked up a Mamiya 7 for that purpose. The Mamiya 6 is also very good, and packs up smaller than the 7 as the lens can retract into the body. I only have the 65mm lens, with a 150 on order. The 65 is very sharp, the camera is easy to handhold, the meter is accurate - in short I think it is a great camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I second the suggestion of the Mamiya 7. I have the Mamiya 7II and its a great camera for travelling/walking/hiking. It's pretty lightweight indeed and you won't be giving up on quality at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I vote for the Mamiya 6 or 7. The Mamiya's are fabulous hand held cameras that have very sharp optics. I have the mamiya 6 and all 3 lenses (50, 75, 150)-- the limit of 3 lenses is the drawback-- and can whole heartedly recommend for travel.

The retractable lens mount makes the Mamiya 6 one of, if not, the most portable med formate cameras. The camera is about the size of medium sized paperback book.

Mamiya can no longer fix the achilles heel of this camera for lack of parts. That being the film advance gears can strip over time. This has also driven up the cost of the bodies on the used market. Expect to pay 600 -850 for the body (the MF's being at the higher end). A used Mamiya 7 body will go for 700-1000 (the 7II being at the high end). The lenses for the Mamiya 6 can be had for relatively cheap and if you can find someone who is selling all lenses and body together the price per component will be really cheap. http://www.Harryscamera.com had a great deal on the complete set (I believe it worked out to be about 1800.00 usd).

I know this because my winder recently bit the dust and I was forced to look for a new body and or contemplate the switch to the 7.

Hope that helps,

jdc

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I like the rangefinder suggestions--Mamiya 6 or 7, Bronica 645 RF. I personally find the Fuji fixed lens rangefinders big and bulky, but you may like them.

My last trip where photography wasn't my main reason for traveling, I carried two folding fixed-lens rangefinders--a Voigtlander Vitessa-L 35mm loaded with Ektachrome 320T for indoors and night photography (it has a fast Ultron 50/2.0 lens), a Voigtlander Bessa II 6x9 with 105/3.5 Color-Heliar loaded with Fuji RMS rated at 400, and my little Digisix meter. This worked out quite nicely, and the limitation of the fixed normal lens just forces one to find the compositions that work with it.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    sorry the url I posted for harrys was wrong. here is the correct url

http://www.harrysproshop.com

and here is the page for the mamiya 6
    http://www.harrysproshop.com/Used_Mi...ellaneous.html

price for the camera with all lenses is
    2399.00 CAD which works out to 1753.00 USD this is a great deal from a good retailer.

FWIW I eventually found a Mamiya6 body in very good to excellent condition on ebay for 510.00 (you can find the deals if you are patient). This was the cheapest of all those I watched over a 2 month period.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin