Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,905   Posts: 1,521,395   Online: 1075

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Maybe you should try to mount the 50mm ULD glass in a RB shutter/lens mount, instead.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    the 50ULD has no shutter speed control on the lens, and the RB doesnt either, so RB + 50 ULD = no shutter speed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All of the RB speeds are set on the lens
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I know, I own a RB and I've previously owned an RZ; my statement was partly in jest. With enough time and/or money, it could be possible to transplant just the glass from the ULD into the barrel of an RB lens. The floating element would further complicate an already improbable situation, though.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Another complication may prevent the cells of the 50ULD from working on the RB67 even if mounted in an RB lens mount with mechanical shutter.
    Lens mount to film plane distance is shorter on the RZ than on the RB, meaning that the hybrid will not focus at infinity on the RB.
    Unless, that is, the rear element of the 50ULD is recessed from its original RZ mounting ring (as viewed from the back of the lens) AND that the donor RB lens' shutter is the correct distance from the mounting ring. Different focal lengths of lens vary widely in this respect.

6 x 8 is nice, I use those backs on my RB. The main reason I use them is that they're electric wind.

You can crop a 6 x 7 to the same proportions as 6 x 8 with the loss of only a few mm. of film so why destroy the resale value of two lenses?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    i am in no hurry to tear apart my lenses. backs on the other hand, ive done quite a bit of tearing apart. i know i can crop to 6x8 but i wasnt going for the aspect ratio as much as the extra cm of negative space. one of those projects where its more fun doing it than seeing the end result. i leanred quite a bit about my camera along the way as well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Even the "Quadra" 4x5 sheet film back for the RZ tops out at 72x72mm. I would think Mamiya would get every last mm out of a sheet of 4x5 film they possibly could without loss of image quality, square, or not square. Then again, it would be pretty slick to own (one of?) the only 6x8 Mamiya SLR's sporting an RZ mount 50 f/4.5 ULD floating element lens with an electronic shutter, and removable, multi-format revolving film backs. Even if it takes several beat up "organ donor" RZ bodies, a couple of pounds of JB Weld epoxy, and 100+ hours of shop time to get it right......

Voyager

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    voyager,

trust me, i have no problem getting another horrible condition RZ from keh to try things on, but i have to envision it first and design it in my head and on paper, which is not happening. to begin with there were 2 bottlenecks of getting a good 6x8 negative on the RZ, the G-adapter for the RB back has an opening which was too small. second, the rear opening of the actually RZ body was too small a couple mm on each end, mabe 2 or 3 is my guess.

i solved the G-adapter problem with my wonderful dremelling abilities, lol. the rear opening is a MUCH larger problem to solve, ive through about just dremeling the very back of the camera opening and having it sort of flange to the outside and get bigger as the "flange" goes so that by the time it meets the adapter there is enough room fo the light to travel to all ends of the 6x8 opening. unfortunetely, that means cutting into the camera light box which is also where the mirror sits. my problem is that i have not taken apart the body to its skeleton and dont know what would happen if i start shaving material off. would the body no longer be light tight? more designing on my part is needed. ill post pictures of everything ive done thus far when i get the chance. i know there is a thread of a couple years ago with this very premise, but nothing ended up happening.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I understand the difficulties in a project like that. It is still fun though, and I have a collection of $5 KEH "as is" camera gear that I have either repaired or butchered, so I'm coming from a supportive position here... I would love to see project pics if you get a chance to post them, and if you don't already have it, I can provide you with a 30 day download link to a super high quality three part PDF scan of the entire RZ67 repair guide, tools, and parts manual that is currently available on the net (free). You can even share it as you please.... Just send me an email address. That offer is open to anyone else on the forum who would like the manual as well.

Voyager

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    voyager, i did not even know "repair" manuals were available for cameras on the web, i thought it was mainly a car thing with the service manuals. email is rtkauff@yahoo.com. id greatly appriciate it, ive been doing everything blind thus far.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin