Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,471   Online: 962

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    matt,

thank you for pointing that out. i already have in way the 6x8 back and the G adapter that fits rb backs on the rz. judging from your post it seems like i will need more than just making the adapter opening larger. what do you propose i do? monday i will try and call mamiya and see if i can find out the dimensions of the light baffle they offer for the RB series and see if they offer a similar situation for the RZ series, if not, i will see what can be done myself.

second, it says the 6x8 adapter should be used, but isnt that only for the non pro-sd cameras? the pro-sd camera does not need the revolving back as far as i know. and i know the dimensions of the rear which are not too different from my rz proii rear.

im really looking for someone who has considered doing this or has some input on how it shall be achieved. i also wouldnt mind seeing pictures of the regular light baffle compared to the "6x8" one mamiya offers.

last question, as you guys can tell, i am probably way in over my head but am determined to try this and while i am no expert on the RB or RZ cameras since ive only had mine 2 months i am very handy, but exactly how does the g-adapter with the rb backs work. i know i know, why in the hell did i get all this stuff without knowing exactly it works, idk why, but ill figure it out. do the RB bodies and backs have the same physical dimensions to the film plane as the RZ backs to cameras? essentially, stacking g-adapter + pro-sd revolving back + 6x8 back would make the film farther away and cause OOF images correct?

thank you,
    and please anyone who has thought of this id love to hear your input

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi kauffman:

I'm afraid that my contribution above is the full extent of my ability to help you on this.

I too have been researching the Mamiya RB and RZ systems, and stumbled upon the link to the instruction manual for this back while wandering through the attachment to the links associated with the compatibility chart linked (Reznitsky) to another recent RB67 APUG thread.

Good luck, and be sure to report your results .

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kauffman v36 View Post
    essentially, stacking g-adapter + pro-sd revolving back + 6x8 back would make the film farther away and cause OOF images correct?
    You can't stack adapters, as far as I know. One side of the G adapter mounts to the camera, and the back fits on the other side. It *is* the rotating back adapter, essentially.

Are you sure you have the RZ67 G-adapter? There's also a G-adapter for the old mamiya press cameras.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    yes im aware mamiya made two g adapters, one for the rb/rz, and one for the press. the one i have in transit is the right one, i double checked. i was pretty sure you cannot stack adapters, im just wondering how it all worked. essentially, does the adapter work as the "rear mount" of the camera? im assuming thats how it is.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Normally, with the RZ67, it's simply [camera body - rz67] attached to [RZ67 film back]. The rotating back is built into the body and/or film back.
    With the RB67, it goes [camera body - rb67] : [rotating back adapter] : [RB67 film back]
    The G adapter functions as the rotating back adapter, because they are not built into the RB67 film magazine as they are with the RZ's film backs.
    So, [camera body - RZ67] : [G-adapter] : [RB67 film back]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I use RB's & RZ's and I do have a couple of 6x8 electric backs that are fine with the Pro SD & 6x8 adapter - but cut off with Pro S bodies because I never got around to modifying them.
    When I saw this post I checked to see what the possibilities might be and I don't think there is any way to get full coverage at infinity. The rear opening on the RZ is just 68mm. square. The gate on the 6x8 back is 74mm. wide and the film plane is roughly 5mm. behind the body.

Filing an RZ back might get you 3mm. extra width but why bother?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    thanks everyone, it seems to be making progress in my head, lol. unclemack, im curious as to why you think the rear opening of the RZ would be the limiting factor? according to this thread, http://www.apug.org/forums/forum51/4...-question.html in post #4 the rear opening of the pro-sd is not much bigger (maybe 1mm), if at all than the rz rear opening.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Because of the rotating adapter between the RB body and back.
    The back fits to the RZ without adapter and is therefore closer to the limiting factor, ie. the 68mm. square rear opening.
    Have fun.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    ahh i see. very good poiint

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    ok people, the g adapter has been modified and it is more than big enough to allow the clearence for the 6x8 back on my RZ. now im shooting a roll of HP5 to see what the final negative size will be and i will post when done. maybe even make a new thread about finally succeeding on fitting a 6x8 back on the rz cameras.

thanks everybody for the help

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin