Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,927   Posts: 1,585,160   Online: 824

Shooter
    Medium Format

Rolleifix on an automat?

I like to shoot with a tripod, and I'm wondering if anyone has found a way to shoot an older rolleiflex WITHOUT the groove on the tripod mount with a rolleifix. The only way I can think of is to change backs with a newer camera (and I'm not sure if they are compatible), or have a machinist carve down the back on my automat (which seems like it would be unwise).

Thanks for any feedback!

Images
    Perhaps the tripod mount from a newer camera can be fitted to yours. I believe they are the same outer diameter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a K4A from about 1954 with a new back. They are compatible.

Ulrich

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Great! Glad to hear it. I will be on the lookout for a back that works.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am not sure they are compatible...
    See on the picture , with two backs and , on the bottom , some of respective upper spool chamber .
    They have a groove but are not strictly similar .
    The earlier is on the left ; there is a groove on the spool knob : so , it's possible to close correctly with the back (and in fact the two backs) .
    The older back on the right fits the earlier Automat , K4B or MX-EVS ; Automat spool knob has not groove : because of that , it's difficult to close with the new back without damage...
    I don't know if it's easy to find now the right older back , but it's possible to cut the two disturbing pieces of an earlier one .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rolleiflex-b.jpg  
    Last edited by Andy38; 01-25-2010 at 09:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hm, I'm coming late to the thread, but it was disciussed here as well: http://photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/00VRQd and the suggestion is that Automat MX models could be compatible with Rolleifix. It seemed that it was introduced either with or early on in the lifespan of this model. So it depend son the Automat version (which is labelled in oh so many ways).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ^ You're correct. I had an MX Automat serial nr. 1405072, a late sample made toward the end of the run in 1954. It took a Rolleifix and I used it on a ballhead with an Arca-Swiss type QR system. The attachment shows the bottom of this camera.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	camera_7.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	471.1 KB 
ID:	51137

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin