Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,500   Posts: 1,571,626   Online: 1140

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Square printing

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gma
    When you are making the exposure you see the whole square and not a cropped rectangular image.
    There is a way around this: Opaque document-tape in the corners of the groundglass. The screen in the Hassi is covered with sheets of glass, bottom and top. Appropriate markings are easy to apply and remove.

BTW.: The outside-lines on the grid-screen approximate 4.5x6 vertically and horizontally.

Stefan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a cheap format mask set [part no 41151] available for hasselblad film backs / viewfinders that allow you to see and expose rectangle formats [6 X 4.5 & Panoramic] which work on most of their 6x6 cameras. Its about $10 used or $30 new.

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Zeiss folder I have ordered is 4.5x6 (almost the same proportions as 8x10) so fortunately I will not have to learn to think in a different shaped format.
    [FONT=Century Gothic][/FONT][SIZE=7][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkOrange][/COLOR] I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Shooter
    35mm
    I love the square.

I especially love printing full-frame 6.5" or so squares, then mounting/matting them to 8x10". Gorgeous.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've heard the repeated argument that the Square Format "wastes" so much paper.

There is always a flip side ... the Rectangular Format "wastes" *so* much of the lens image ....

So which is more important - the lens field, or the paper?

Y' pays yer money and yer takes yer choice ...

Oooops ... I forgot we have many international members who might not understand that ...
    It was a common cry from Circus sideshow attendants to try to get participants to "throw the balls at the bottles" - and if you were successful, "You paid your money, and you seleted whatever prize you wanted.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    127 Format
    re wasting paper

I found printing square really efficient on paper - the 2" cut off the top off an 8x10" makes perfect test strips for the next print.

On the other hand when I print full page, I'm always digging round for scraps. It always seems a waste to cut up a fresh sheet just for testing. Much nicer to know there'll be a whole bunch of pre-cut scraps in the box...

Ian

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    A few years ago I had and enjoyed a Mamiya C3 and could 'see square' admitidly crudely. The negs were almost always printed square - they sorta worked for me. In my complete stupidity I sold the camera to finance a Brony ETRC which I still have but rarely use. How I wish I still had the C3, bigger neg, no parralax error with the paramender, capable of good close ups with a little maths....

Re 'wasting' paper, surely you print the image cropped the way it works best. Any other way is a waste of paper imho.
    ~John~
    --------------------------
    www.johnbrewerphotography.com
    There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Brewer
    Re 'wasting' paper, surely you print the image cropped the way it works best. Any other way is a waste of paper imho.
    A trueism (sp?) if ever there was.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jdef
    Ed, how often do you print round?
    I don't. Never have. I have seen *interesting* work printed in a square format, but rotated 45 degrees, so that it was "diamond" shaped.

Hmm... round. I'll think about that...
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    jdef, LOL!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin