Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,955   Posts: 1,522,808   Online: 987

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Square printing

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jdef
    I came across this passage in my reading on albumen printing.

"The best shape for the print will often be governed by the prevailing lines in the picture, and especially by the general character of the outline. Where a number of parallel lines, vertical or horizontal, prevail in the subject, an oval or circular shape will often materially help the picture, and prevent the formation of angles, which must become striking if the rectangular shape be adopted. On the other hand when tile principal lines fall in curves, the rectangular shape will be most suitable. In no case, however, is a perfect square desirable. The oblong form should in all cases be chosen : whether the greatest length should be vertical or horizontal, will be governed entirely by the subject."

ON MOUNTING PHOTOGRAPHS.
    BY G. WHARTON SIMPSON
    LOL....Should have told that to Hasselblad and Rollei before they sold millions of their cameras.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    bump....

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    I fell in love with the square format many years ago and havent put it down sine. Most of the the time I use the complete square image and sometimes I will crop but I just like the feeling I get with I see square. It is just something about it that draws me to it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jdef
    I came across this passage in my reading on albumen printing.

"The best shape for the print will often be governed by the prevailing lines in the picture, and especially by the general character of the outline. Where a number of parallel lines, vertical or horizontal, prevail in the subject, an oval or circular shape will often materially help the picture, and prevent the formation of angles, which must become striking if the rectangular shape be adopted. On the other hand when tile principal lines fall in curves, the rectangular shape will be most suitable. In no case, however, is a perfect square desirable. The oblong form should in all cases be chosen : whether the greatest length should be vertical or horizontal, will be governed entirely by the subject."

ON MOUNTING PHOTOGRAPHS.
    BY G. WHARTON SIMPSON
    Sanctimonious crap.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Screw that guy- I AM a square.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For test prints, I print 6x6 on 8x10 RC paper. When I'm ready for a 'good' print, I've only printed 10x10 on 11x14 'good' paper with 0.5" margins top and sides. So far I kinda like the top center w/border look.

Sometimes I'll print 8x8 in center as well. I tried 10x01 in center, but it doesn't look as good to me on 11x14 paper. I haven't tried any other size paper yet.

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

(Bump jdef)

jdef, you didn't put a date on that quote.... 1910? Earlier?

It's probably telling that the square format has been essentially non-existent throughout the history of painting prior to photography, save for decorative works like clock faces and table tops (and their distant relative, abstract painting, e.g. Kandinsky -- who was definitely post-Fox-Talbot!). Publishing too -- the square format has ever been relegated to novelty status. Most 6x6 gets cropped (even Hasselblad's "Medium Format Advantage" book mostly hypes 6x6's cropability). Only the occasional original print and most album cover photos seem to survive in their equal-angled form... too bad!

Going through older art theorists like Delsarte et al, they don't even MENTION the square -- it seemed completely off their radar (to use a anachronistic metaphor).

Given the popularity of Holga and its inevitably-vignetted corners, maybe the square is actually, compositionally speaking for these "new pictorialists," just a circle with some pointy bits?

KB

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    (BTW, two "stealth" formats for the square: Instamatic and SX-70)

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm probably a squaratic, as I often think of the Hassy as a 645 that doens't need to be rotated. When I'm in a square mood, however, I often find that taking a step or three closer to the subject tends to bring out the potential square compositions in my brain. Then, I check for those niggly intrusions along the 4 edges before firing.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Since I got my Hasselblad I haven't gone back to the rectangle.
    The square feels so much more intimate and right for me.
    I actually do I lot less thinking about composition in square than with the rectangle.
    There are rare times where I need a panorama or a vertical image, but I just have to crop the right way. That restriction mosty comes from having only one lens (the 80) so sometimes it becames a problem to compose without "intrusions".
    On paper too, I find the larger border on the bottom and the smaller on the top folllows the aesthetic I got from studying chinese/japanese painting and so I am quite pleased with it.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin