Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,538   Posts: 1,544,278   Online: 811

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Square printing

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shoot 6x6 and 35mm and will print "full frame" or crop the heck out of it. Sometimes square, sometimes not. Occasionally I'll even crop the top and bottom of a 35mm to make it long (or tall) and thin. I have two prints from the same 6x6 neg. One printed square and the other heavily cropped. Both work for me and suggest 2 almost different moods.
    Square, rectangle, triangle, round, hey what ever works!
    Oh and the last thing I do as I squeezing the shutter is sneeze.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've always thought the ability to compose on the easel was the advantage of doing your own. If it works square print it square.

Personally I think 4x5/8x10 are really square. I know the math majors will jump up and down but they're so close to square that I think they're square.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    Since I got my Hasselblad I haven't gone back to the rectangle.
    The square feels so much more intimate and right for me.
    I actually do I lot less thinking about composition in square than with the rectangle.
    This is exactly the same feel I have. We're square souls!

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think it depends. You can print square from 35mm, 6x4.5 and 6x7, rectangular from 6x6 and a wide panoramic from any of them. If it works, it works.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For me personally, I am not tied to amy format unless the patron paying for my services requests a horizontal, vertical or square. I try to fill the frame and at times have been burned by the square format of the Blads. Tough to crop to a 8x10 print with a full frame 6x6. Many magazine covers are square,
    but many also request Verticals and a few even horizontal. I try to cover all the bases when I am not sure how a shot is going to be used, by shooting the subject in such a manor it can be cropped to any shape an editor chooses.

For my own work, I let the subject matter dictate or guide me in how it best can be rendered. I do not pretend to be an artist, just an image maker.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin