Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,037   Online: 838

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    When you're metering: Gray matter is more important than a gray card. Or if your gray matter turns to neutral gray as mine is... it doesn't matter anymore. It'll be time for a point-and-shoot.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    Yes, I agree. Unfortunately, I tend to glaze over after 5 posts so #25 is far beyond my attention span. But I agree with you and Mahler One about using the incident meter for zone system work.

At first, I read through the BTZS stuff in the incident system and blew it off as eccentric and not something I wanted to waste time with. However, I gradually had some frustrations with spot metering and decided to try the incident meter. It is so easy that it is almost disappointing. I am working up the nerve to sell my spot meter but I have a strong attachment to gear that I will never use! I have not used my Sekonic spot meter for the past year since switching over.
    I'm a spot meter guy myself when using the ZS, I find it a very fluid instrument to use. I was acknowledging that an incident meter is the tool of choice in the BTZS way of doing things, only that I wasn't sure in what manner it was used until someone clarified in a later post.

I would hold on to that spot meter----you never know.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    I've used both & prefer incident, spot metering was just too much futzing around...........
    How?

I hear this all the time---but for the life of me I don't understand it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A bit off topic:

Just tested my Brockway Norwood Director meter against a brand new Sekonic Studio Deluxe last night. They agreed within what appeared to be about 1/6 stop. (It was definitely not as much as 1/3 stop.) I imagine that the 1/6 stop less light read by the older one was due to the yellowing of the dome over the past 55 years or so.

The Brockway is a 1950s predecessor to the Sekonic Studio incident meters, made in Japan by Sekonic and sold under the Brockway name. They have kept the casing of the meter identical all these years.

At under $200 brand new, and anywhere from $5 to $20 for an old Brockway, I can't think of a good reason why everyone does not have one of these. I even got three spares for parts on E-Bay for $25, and got extra cases, high slides, discs, grids, etc.

I have come across a stash of almost 30 Pentax Spotmeter Vs and 1/21s in teh back storage room of a school where I work. Two of them still work properly. Such a shame.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CPorter View Post
    How?

I don't understand your lack of understanding of misunderstanding.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How?

When someone says that, it means that they just want a direct-reading meter...as do I most of the time.

As I have said, I always use both when I have the time, but rarely a spot meter alone. I use incident alone often.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How?

Gee, I guess you just don't have to understand it, do you?
    It's called an opinion and it doesn't have to be justified.
    Last edited by John Koehrer; 02-11-2010 at 11:24 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wanting to understand an opinion is different than wanting it to be "justified."

Wanting to understand an opinion means that one wants to know why the opinion is held.

Wanting to have an opinion "justified" means that one wants the opinion proven reasonable.
    2F/2F

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I can see how you would take it that way, but no offense intended----------it's seems a commonly held opinion (at least it feels like I see this a lot) that the spot meter is somehow a troublesome tool to use. That's all. Feel free to help me understand what you mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Perhaps I took it wrong. But I also don't wear tight jeans any longer, I like a little room.
    1)They're bulky. To me.
    2)I don't read shadow & highlight to obtain contrast range
    3)I Don't use sheet film or the Zone system.
    4)I don't have a Sinar F.
    5)I can eyeball exposure closely enough if I need to compensate for deep shadow
    or bright highlight if I need to.
    6)My negatives are good enough with an incident meter.
    7)I wear hiking boots year round.
    8)I don't wear long johns in the summertime.
    9)I like boxer briefs.
    10)I also find a RF easier to focus in dim/dark areas.

I don't think they're troublesome to use. For you. Just not my thing.
    Last edited by John Koehrer; 02-12-2010 at 07:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin