Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,490   Online: 1109

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 48910111213141516 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Of course in the shop/studio I can always just use my digital as a poloroid and shoot and look until it is right then set my "real" camera, LOL, with that exposure but I am to stubborn to do it that way. I want to be able to shoot my RB without a crutch.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    Of course in the shop/studio I can always just use my digital as a poloroid and shoot and look until it is right then set my "real" camera, LOL, with that exposure but I am to stubborn to do it that way. I want to be able to shoot my RB without a crutch.
    Personally, I see no problem with "chimping". It's just the high-tech version of a Polaroid... just as you stated. I'll be carrying a point-and-shoot digital with my LF gear everywhere I go because I happen to like chimping.

Of course, this still won't give you the precise readings you need but it'll give you an idea of what the final image will look like especially the overall lighting and composition.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    And it will still not teach you how to use a meter.

Polaroid wasn't meant to approximate exposure by guessing your way towards something that may look o.k. when shot on real film. It was too expensive for that to begin with.
    Digital isn't expensive. But still, it's the worst way to go about it. Only slightly better than phoning aunt Mable and ask her what she thinks you should set.
    Last edited by Q.G.; 02-14-2010 at 02:02 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: wrong preposition

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    Come on------break loose from the ties that bind!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    What I'm suggesting is he learn to use a spot meter properly and learn to develop for the best negs possible in a given situation. Chimping can give him instant feedback if he shoots on MANUAL with NO AUTO COMPENSATION other than setting white balance. It's a quicker way to learn than shooting/developing/printing over and over again. All he really needs is to UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPT of metering and development. Chimping (manual/no auto compensation) can help speed along the learning process. Once he understands then he can forego the digi and tweak his metering/exposing/processing with confidence.

I'll be using a digi p-n-s for compositional purposes... for awhile anyway. It's now nearly 26 years since I've composed on GG so my skills are probably degraded. We'll see...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I certainly don't think there is anything wrong with "chimping" but if I can learn to do it the "old school way" first I would be happier with my old man education project!!!
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Now ya gotta go buy a spotmeter.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    People should only buy a spotmeter if and when, and only if and when, they feel they cannot do without.
    And if they did, almost noone would have, or want to get, one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    Now ya gotta go buy a spotmeter.
    No.

Better off spending the money on enough film and chemicals to practice with to really understand what your current meter is telling you.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stradibarrius, your life would be so much simpler, and this thread so much shorter, if you would just do two things:
    1) Take an incident meter reading.
    2) Take the picture.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin