Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,852   Posts: 1,582,894   Online: 985

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5910111213141516 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I guess I tend to go the way Mark is suggesting. Questions can only get you so far but then you have to go through the process. I just try to minimize the amount of money and time possibly going in the wrong direction.
    Hopefully some others have also learned something from this thread.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    See?? You ask what's seemingly a simple question and you get a million different confusing opinions. The one thing you definitely did learn though is, as you just stated, "you have to go through the process". We learn much more from doing than by asking. You get ideas by asking and gain real skills by doing. Try all the techniques and choose for yourself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I suggest that you use digital to find your exposures for films only if you find less-than-ideal exposures acceptable.

Now, if there was a digital "exposure preview unit" that you could manually program in a detailed manner to match the technical characteristics of a number of different films, and program different developments as well (preferably by scanning test filmstrips with the unit itself), it would be a lovely device to use for this...but this is not what a digital camera does. A digital camera takes a picture in one way, and that one way is different than the one way any one film would take the same picture. What you see on your camera's screen is a jpeg, and you can set your camera to make the jpeg different than the original capture, just like you can change films or exposure and development to do the same...however, the controls are too rough to be precise. There is no good way to match any in-camera preview exactly to the known characteristics of the film you are using. Therefore, digital cameras are not only less than ideal for use as light meters when using film, but are actually harmful to your exposures. More harmful than an educated/practiced guess? Depends on how educated/practiced you are! However, never more harmful than a properly-used light meter.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 02-15-2010 at 05:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    Is it normal for the two types of reading to be different?
    Yes
    Which will or should be more accurate?
    Incident
    Or maybe the question should be when there is a discrepancy which would you choose?
    Incident

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
    See?? You ask what's seemingly a simple question and you get a million different confusing opinions. The one thing you definitely did learn though is, as you just stated, "you have to go through the process". We learn much more from doing than by asking. You get ideas by asking and gain real skills by doing. Try all the techniques and choose for yourself.
    There are indeed a lot of opinions. Only a few are correct and factual.

Regards, Art.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    No disrespect intended but I disagree, Art. A spot meter in the right hands cannot be bested by any other type meter. And, again... no disrepect intended, but yours is not the only correct opinion. I consider the arguement against use of spotmeters to be quite inaccurate. One who has truely mastered the use of a good spot meter is better capable of making correctly exposed/developed negs... just my opinion, of course.
    Last edited by Mike1234; 02-15-2010 at 04:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
    No disrespect intended but I disagree, Art. A spot meter in the right hands cannot be bested by any other type meter. And, again... no disrepect intended, but yours is not the only correct opinion. I consider the arguement against use of spotmeters to be quite inaccurate. One who has truely mastered the use of a good spot meter is better capable of making correctly exposed/developed negs... just my opinion, of course.
    Sure. I'll stick to incident metering.

Regards, Art.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CPorter View Post
    These are not real good negative scans but the point is conveyed---some examples of this point about incident metering.

There is obviously more light than dark in this subject. But when composing the third shot, I made sure the center-weighted meter of the camera was influenced more by the dark shaded area. The meter's outer, less sensitive regions were also a factor in determining the exposure, just not as much, but ultimately gave a more satisfying result.

Taking an incident reading in the sun and then the shade could have been done and then expose for the average reading. That would probably be the better use of an incident meter IMO, since it does take into account acutal reflective values at both the dark and the light end of the range. It actually attempts an average exposure rather than letting the reflective meter alone try and average the scene, which can lead to some pretty poor exposures if the scene is nowhere near average.
    Sorry to dig the old thread.

Well, this is excatly we will expect with incident reading i.e., middle-gray rendering of metered area(shadow and highlight in this case). Since dome will only see the world as five stops so an adjustment of one or two stops(without considering flare) is required.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    Since dome will only see the world as five stops so an adjustment of one or two stops(without considering flare) is required.
    Actually, no.

The meter has no idea at all about what it is being pointed at, nor how wide the range of tones is in its field of view, absolutely none. Think about it, if your view of the world was through the meters translucent dome you wouldn't either. The meter simply measures how much light gets through the dome and using the EI/ISO number we give it, suggests a camera setting and in some cases gives us a number that tells us how much light there was.

Duplexing, using two readings and averaging, is one good way of finding an appropriate camera setting, as is the classic direct reading method. Both methods are reliable and do not require any other offset.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    Sorry to dig the old thread.

Well, this is excatly we will expect with incident reading i.e., middle-gray rendering of metered area(shadow and highlight in this case)

But providing a middle-gray rendering of a metered area is not what incident meters do. They are keyed to the highlights and nothing else - great for transparencies and digital. With negative film, being keyed to the highlights doesn't guarantee anything about shadow detail, which is what you really want to be controlling at exposure time. Incident meters are certainly convenient and quick but for negatives, and having time to meter, cannot beat a spot meter for getting a desired exposure.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin