Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,554   Posts: 1,545,008   Online: 742

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Rolleiflex 6008 battery dying

The battery of my Rolleiflex has had it's best time.
    I can't find any new batteries (as Rollei brand anyway) and used ones are not an option (for obvious reasons)
    So what can I do to have better a power option ?

thx Marc
    We cannot change how the cards are dealt, just how to play the hand...
    Randy Pausch

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The battery is made of standard sized cell. Therefore, you can find replacement in most electronic supplier. You can use this opportunity to change your old NiCad cell for modern NiMH one. They will give you much more battery life. However, you'll need a new charger. There is a lot of information about it on the net, notably on photo.net.

Jeff

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You can find the cells on the internet pre-soldered and shrink-wrapped. You just have to disassemble the pack, slide in the new batteries, and solder the wires. Also people sell the shrink wrapped packs on ebay.

Rollie made a battery adapter that that took an arbitrary DC 10-18V supply. They are difficult to find and not cheap ~$300. I found one and its handy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My experience is that you cannot easily solder batteries. I had my Canon Motor Drive MA NiCd pack rebuild with 12 N-sized NiMH batteries and they were spot-welded by Batteries Plus for US$16.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Here's where I purchased pre-soldered, pre-shrink wrapped packs.

http://www.batterystore.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Last one I rebuilt was fitted with fresh Sanyo KR-1500SC cells. You can get these from a number of suppliers.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just spoke with Dave @ Battery Specialties in Costa Mesa who seems to think rebuilding them is no big deal. When I get back from the up coming trip to Magnolia Gardens in SC I will send off the old battery and we will see what happens. Thanks for the lead, guys.... I knew APUGers would come thru as always with the right answer...

Battery Specialties in Costa Mesa 1-800-854-5759

Logan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Marc,

you will get new batteries or old cells replaced from the successor of Rollei DHW Fototechnik in Germany for e.g.. Today they use NiMH instead of NiCad cells which is a good things as this doubles the capacity and there is no more memory effect to the cells. Existing chargers can be still used.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Marc,

I have rebuilt 4 batteries with the NiMH battery cells sold on eBay from Chinese vender. Conversion was easy. I thought I had to buy a new charger and did. Later on I found out I could use the old N style charger. You just have to lift battery out after charge is complete and then reinsert and let it charge another cycle. New batteries have much more capacity there fore take more charging cycles with old charger. I did not think it would work at first but it does. You can shoot for hours and not run these new cells out. I have used them in my 6008I2, my 6003 and my 6006 with no problems. Just have to take it slow when you disassemble old pack and make sure you solider the correct battery leads back in place on new cells. Replacement cell packs are $35. The only bad thing is waiting for them to arrive from China, very slow shipping.
    Keep Film Alive, Shoot Everyday!
    JamiesInfraredPhotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Talisker View Post
    Marc,

you will get new batteries or old cells replaced from the successor of Rollei DHW Fototechnik in Germany for e.g.. Today they use NiMH instead of NiCad cells which is a good things as this doubles the capacity and there is no more memory effect to the cells. Existing chargers can be still used.
    I replaced my SLX's NiCd cells with NiMH cells and within 10 minutes the battery pack was really, really hot. Disconnected it and I now use a Tenergy Smart Charger for charging the pack with the NiMH cells. I really don't trust the Rollei charger with NiMH cells.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin