Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,606   Online: 792

Shooter
    Large Format

Voigtlander Folder

I have a chance to purchase a Voigtlander Perkeo folder. I have read that these cameras are notorious for loose front standard mounts. If this is so, is there a fast and easy fix for this problem?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rjs003
    notorious for loose front standard mounts
    Where's Michael and Don when you need them?
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've seen no such problem with mine. In fact I've seen no problem at all with mine?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I don't have that problem with my Perkeo II either. It's not really that the front standard is particularly loose on this model, but that in general the design of the front standard on most folding medium format cameras is not the most stable thing in the world. It's a bigger issue with 6x9 folder, because the bellows is longer and the lens is bigger, so there's more to support and a small movement in depressing the shutter becomes magnified by the time it reaches the lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hopefully, the wobbly front standard issue on Voigtlanders was confined to the top-of-the-line Bessa II. It had a somewhat unique coupled rangefinder focusing system which moved the entire front standard to focus the lens. This was accomplished via a long arm connected to a focus adjusting knob atop of the camera. Frankly, it wasn't the most robust method to achieve unit focusing design.

The Perkeos all have front cell focusing, which is less problematic. On the Perkeo II that I have, the right hand strut must be manually locked into place after extending the front platform. Once the right strut is in the locked position, the front standard seems pretty solid.

One other note, the Color-Skopar lens is about as good as it gets with regards to a *pocketable* front cell focusing medium format folder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We have 4 Perkeos in our collection and consider them amongst the best of our folders. We have never had any problems with them and the results are good.
    If you would like to see the photos taken with our Perkeos and maybe compare them with other folders some of our Perkeo photographs are on our website at

http://www.jennyandernie.co.uk/Old%2...%20Perkeos.htm

Please let me know what you think and any advice or comments would be very welcome.

Jenny.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin