Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,732   Posts: 1,515,288   Online: 887

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slnce-z-gsi View Post
    (I tend to consider lenses for under €200 as cheap )
    Yep, you're perception of "affordable" and "Value for money" can change quickly in this game :P

I keep my eye on the KEH and FFORDES. Is there any trustable seller of used gear out there to check?
    Personally, I look to KEH as a price guide, then hunt around, but the 55mm I just ended up getting from them as the auction prices were considerably higher (this is going back a few years). The few lenses I've found locally (in shopfronts) have been priced outrageously!

My goal in life, is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So - the tough decision was taken and I have a nice 645N + FA 45-85/4.5 on its way from ffordes to me (!!).

It should arrive in a day or two and then I take it to business trip to Paris where I hope to find some time for a few evening shots. I will definitely let you know then!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To keep you updated:

the camera arrived - what a beast! My Rolleiflex feels so small in comparison. The weight of the 645N + FA 45-85/4.5 + 6xAA is about 2.3 kg.

The camera is NOT light (hey, I was shooting R3A with Jupiter3 over the weekend), but has a very good ergonomics and I got accustomed to it rather fast.

The viewfinder was acceptably bright (the lens is only f/4.5!).

The AF is better than expected. Manual focus was no problem either even though the camera does not have a split screen (just a normal matt screen).

However - the camera turned to have one hidden issue the seller was not aware of and goes back for a replacement.

The 45-85 lens while offering a practical range is bigger than I like. While packing the camera I have spotted an FA 35/3.5 on webpage of ffordes and immediately decided to swap the zoom for it and add later the A 55/2.8 (or the 75/2.8). Still - I did shoot 2 films with the zoom and will share my impressions.

So - keep tuned - the show goes on

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 35 & 55 are two of my favourites, would love to hear (see) how you go with them. What was the issue you mentioned?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I tried to make first test shots in vertical orientation - I mounted and arca-style quick release plate - and the tripod mounting came off the camera (I was lucky - in nearly fell off my tripod). As this feature (mounting point for vertical orientation) was one of the reason I decided to go with the Pentax 645N the camera went back. Also the battery insert had a slight rattle in the handle of the camera. Also the lens seemed to have quite some rattle (to be honest I do not know how much rattle is OK with this lens).

But the camera worked fine. Actually - I expected large viewfinder (my wife has Minolta Dynax 7 which has great viewfinder - the Pentax is comparable) as people say how great it is. Still - it was easy to focus the slow zoom manually. The AF seemd precise two more AF sensors would be great though.

So if I will negotiate with the ffordes (the contact is actually very good - I feel confident that we will work this out) and have the 645N plus FA 35/3.5 in my hands I will get the 55/2.8 (and probably also the 75/2.8 for half body portraits - the 150/2.8 can be too long at times)

I will let you know how it works.

Actually - did shoot one Delta 100 and one Provia 100 with the 45-85/4.5 to get the idea about the performance. I will post samples once I have it scanned and developed.

I am in Paris right now and feel pity that I could not take the camera with me ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The tripod mount came OFF?!! I'm imagining the thread being pulled out, but surely that can't be the case?! Wow... really interesting to hear.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes - it really did. The way it is attached to the steel shell ( a steel sheet underneath the plastic shell, according to what one can see when the mount is removed) - like a clench is probably not the most safe one ...

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    To keep you updated:

the camera arrived - what a beast! My Rolleiflex feels so small in comparison. The weight of the 645N + FA 45-85/4.5 + 6xAA is about 2.3 kg.

The camera is NOT light (hey, I was shooting R3A with Jupiter3 over the weekend), but has a very good ergonomics and I got accustomed to it rather fast.
    My experience exactly, too big for its size, heck if bulk isn't a problem, why stop there get the RZ. Get the Mamiya 6 or 7, Mamiya or Contax 645 systems are too bulky for what they offer.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum51/7...tml#post970306

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just to let you know - nothing is decided - the camera went back and will be refunded. So I can reconsider it again. And it is not easy at all.

Contax 645, Pentax 645N , Mamiya 6 , Mamiya 7 -lenses, Bronica RF645 and not to forget the fixed lens MF RF. Advantages and disadvantages are more-less obvious, but it does not make it any easier ...

I need to think it over again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess that it is my duty to disclose the rest of the story. I after long additional considerations I came across an interesting deal - Mamiya 6 with 50 & 150 lenses. What got me to pull the trigger was that the camera had the entire film transport gear exchanged less than 2 years ago.

I sold R3A and Rolleiflex T to get this camera. I do miss the Rollei, but the Mamiya really does for me what I needed - a MF travel system with great optics, built in AE. It covers about 95% of what ideal camera could do and that is pretty good.

I got the camera by end of July and by now have also the 75 lens, quick release plate from RRS. As I wanted (and I did) to drag the camera with me to vacation in Spain I got a customized bag from Courierware.

Long story short - the camera is really nice to use and delivers great results. Of course I am in the process of scanning about 30 rolls of film and will be putting up some images on he web soon.

thanks to everybody who shared here advice and opinions.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin