Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,154   Online: 866

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mike, thank you. It is really hard to resist this camera :-)

Have you ever used any of the lenses with a teleconverter? I might be interested to get a longer reach than the 140 or 210 lenses offer the the price of the 350/4 makes it unreachable. Would the 210/4 + 1.4x convertor be a viable (albeit slower) solution?

As you are now using the Mamiya 7 (existence of which makes the choice much harder, so to say), and apart from the obvious differences, how do you find the hand holding usage? On one hand the Contax is heavier, has mirror slap, but has faster lenses, on the other the Mamiya is lighter with leaf shutters but slower lenses.

I am attracted towards the Mamiya by the lower weight and large negative, on the other hand a 645 SLR offers wider usage. As the only MF camera I have used is Rolleiflex T I have hard time to get the feeling of the difference in final print (size 12x16" or even 16x20").

I am still waiting for somebody (apart from my wife - she has completely different opinion ) to tell me that I am a snobbish fool and I should go with Mamiya 645 Pro or Pentax 645N instead. I know. But the Contax looks great (not a right criterion - I know), people rave about the interface and lenses ...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSeb View Post
    I love my Contax, and I've sold it with more than a trace of regret. (JP, I hope you're enjoying it!)
    I'm overjoyed with your ex-contax, really, it's that good!!!
    There isn't any perfect system, but having an rb67 system for slow work and cheap tlr for playing, my contax fields the gap for serious and fast work perfectly.
    But after some time with it and few rolls i have found that contax 645 has some drawbacks.
    First, it's a bulky camera, it's as big as rb67 but lighter, so i wouldn't use it as allday walk around camera. I don't really mind it, but the people i shoot, they seem to care sometimes (big things in front of their noses).
    The viewfinder, it's big, it's nice, it has quite information on it, but to me it lacks iso info, and sometimes i feel that it has some sort of tunnel effect (like with small dslr viewfinder if you know what i mean), and well, it's not the brightest out there.
    The backs system, the mechanism to attach backs to the body works just pressing to it making sure you have it in place, it looks rather simple, but i feel it's not at the same level as overall camera, if you need to work fast it's easier to change film inserts.
    The battery issue, it's not that bad, and i guess that if designers were chose an easier battery than 2cr5 like AAs it would not be mentioned (i know that grip can fix this, but it adds weight also).
    Shooting with 80mm lens at f.2 is quite difficult, it's obvious that you have to nail focus quite precisely, but here af doesnt help much (as a canon can do it) and you have to do it manual. And yes 80mm have some serious barrel distortion, quite common with lens that opens that much though.
    But the worst thing to me is the lens cap!!!, if you have attached the hood you can't take out the lens cap, you need to remove the hood and then you can take off the lens cap, silliest design ever. I know its easy to fix, buying a different 72mm lens cap.
    I'm being really picky, and any of these "problems" change my mind that contax 645 is one of the best systems if not the best MF Af.
    Being honest the difference on price (x2) with a mamiya/pentax 645 doesnt mean that contax is double the good. So if you want to pay premium because one of the strongest points of contax really appeal to you it's a good buy, if not mamiya/pentax seem to have nice cameras also.
    Last edited by peri24; 04-23-2010 at 07:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Contax seems like a pretty darn awesome machine in many ways. Its drawbacks, speaking as one who has never used one, are its initial cost, relative scarcity of accessories, cost of accessories, and its discontinuance. It's a damn shame Kyocera wouldn't sell its camera manufacturing business instead of shutting it down.
    The Luminous Landscape has an interesting comparison between the Contax, Mamiya and Pentax 645's.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...s/645nii.shtml

There's also comparison of the different generations of Pentax 645.

BTW, I have the same gripe about the hood and lens cap for the ETR-Si's 75mm 2.8 MC and PE lenses. But the hood bayonets on and off, so it doesn't really slow me down too much.
    Last edited by lxdude; 04-23-2010 at 10:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have just seen an angle finder for Mamiya 645 - are there angle finders for Contax 645 or Pentax 645N too? Maybe I am too much used to my Rolleiflex T, but sometimes low angle is what is needed and angle finder could be better solution than a waist level finder (I know - Pentax has fixed prism).

Do I understand correctly that the Mamiya 645 Pro TL does not offer exposure data imprinting on the film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by slnce-z-gsi View Post

Have you ever used any of the lenses with a teleconverter? .... Would the 210/4 + 1.4x convertor be a viable (albeit slower) solution?
    Yes. I have the 1.4x Mutar, and used with the 140 or 210 it works quite well, at the cost of a stop of speed. Not as good as the 350, but a lot cheaper.

As you are now using the Mamiya 7 (existence of which makes the choice much harder, so to say), and apart from the obvious differences, how do you find the hand holding usage?
    The Mamiya 7 is the perfect handholding camera. I can handhold reasonably well down to 1/8 or 1/15 if I'm braced against something. No mirror slap, soft shutter release make it possible.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    knowing that an slr is harder to work at lower speeds than a rangefinder, i'm quite impressed with the damped mirror of the contax 645.
    A tight 1/45 is quite sharp.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Data imprinting question (Pentax 645N, 645NII and Contax 645) - when using a zoom lens - which focal length is imprinted on the film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    - Joachim -
    Yes - I am fully aware of the Pentax 67, but I am also aware of the fact that this camera is for most cases a tripod camera. And one of my concerns is to get camera that is capable of decent hand-hold-ability (sure, nothing beats MF rangefinders for that) so In General I try hard to keep my self from 6x6 and 6x7 SLRs, even though there is often only rather small difference in weight (for example ETRSi versus SQA-i) Best wishes from cold rainy Muenster

- lxdude -
    Indeed - I have somehow omitted the Bronica. In comparison to others I do not really see that the lenses would be considerably heavier than from others. What is your impression of the camera - how is the hand-holdability? What is your main use of the camera?

- razians -
    thanks for your overview. H1 and H2 look cool, but out of the price range - especially the lenses. You say that you are looking for Mamiya (ETRSi I guess), 645NII or older Mamiya - what is steering your decision this way?

- suzyj -
    You are indeed not the first that tends to prefer older Mamiyas to Later Pro or Pro TL models. Is it just the finis of the body or is there more to the difference? How do the newer and older Mamiyas compare? What is your main usage of the Mamiya M645 (weddings ..?)

Mamiya In general - I would love to hear more comments on differences between Older "metal" Mamiyas , Pro/Pro TL and AFD models. It is quite confusing (apart from the AF and backs)

On the Pentax - I found on several places that thanks to rather small and well damped mirror the Pentax 645NII actually does not really need the MLU unless one uses very long lenses (like 400mm or longer). Do the previous generations (645 & 645N) share the same well damped mirror?

Pentax & Mamiya - I am looking for a reliable source of the weights of the lenses
    Not the H1 or H2, the Hasselblad V series which in much less expensive than the H series. Parts and service are still available for the V series. The selection of available bodies, prisms, backs, lenses is quite large to allow for future growth including the dreaded d----lbacks. Also if you decided to go to the 6x6 format later, the only cost would be the film backs. The weight of a Hasselblad V body, CF f/2.8 80mm lens and a film back is less than many or all the other camera systems you looked at. Besides the digital revolution has now made these cameras affordable, no longer a camera one could only dream about.

Like the Packard advertisements said, "Ask the man that owns one."

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am still looking for the weight of Bronica ETRSi, Mamiya 645 Pro (Pro TL) and mybe Bronica SQAi. The main problem for putting together the weights is to find out the weights of:
    - waist level finder
    - AE prism
    - motor winder / grip
    as the producer usually say the weight of the lightest package: body, 120 mag, WLF and a lens.
    Post #26 of this thread:

Body + AEIII prism + 120 back (no film) + Speed Grip = 3 lb 3 oz.
    40mm lens = 1 lb 2 0z.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can get an angle finder for the Pentax 645, I know.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin