Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,523,985   Online: 823

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Linhof Rangefinder Cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggboy View Post
    Press cameras scare me for some reason. I don't know why. So many different varieties...or maybe I was a drunken New York City socialite who was shot by Weegee in a previous life... :-)

The Linhofs are pretty pricey and don't they use rangefinders? I think I'll need fairly easy to use reflex viewing system. A quick scan of evilBay, and a Bronica group on Yahoo seems to indicate I can get an S2A with 70/2.8 and a back for less than US$400.

Also, just to confirm, the Mamiya RB/RZ bodies don't have shutters?

Thanks again for all the responses.

Eugene
    From Stephen Gandy's Camera Quest Camera Profiles
    If it's labeled as a Super, it has a Rangefinder.

http://www.cameraquest.com/lin69.htm

This just in...
    http://www.cameraquest.com/lint369.htm
    Last edited by Vanishing Point Ent.; 03-23-2010 at 05:22 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: " As a Photographer, I'm still Developing."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Get yourself a mini speed with a graflock back. Guaranteed you will fall in love with the little critter.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    2x3 press/technical cameras are what I would look at. They are cheap as dirt, and very wonderful, but largely-overlooked cameras. If they "scare" you, GET OVER IT!

I would suggest a Century Graphic to start. They tend to run the lowest, and always have a Graflok back TMK.

The Pentax 6x7 and the Kievs, Pentacon Sixes, and Exacta 66s have FP shutters as well. I'd go for the Pentax first, but if not affordable, a Pentacon Six or Exacta 66. I'd only go for the Kiev if it is truly dirt cheap and you know it has been serviced to overcome its inconsistencies. (There is a company in the U.S. that can do this for you, but it is pricey. At that point, I'd rather just get a Pentacon or Exacta.)
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Eugene, I'm going to go back and agree with David... I have 4 LF lenses that I use on my Bronica S2A (two of which date back to the early 1900s), plus a hacked 400mm telephoto. With a few plastic body caps, a set of extension tubes, and a dremel or a drill bit, you can make any lens longer than about 90mm work on it. And the real Nikkor S2A lenses aren't too shabby either!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    2x3 press/technical cameras are what I would look at. They are cheap as dirt, and very wonderful, but largely-overlooked cameras. If they "scare" you, GET OVER IT!

I would suggest a Century Graphic to start. They tend to run the lowest, and always have a Graflok back TMK.

The Pentax 6x7 and the Kievs, Pentacon Sixes, and Exacta 66s have FP shutters as well. I'd go for the Pentax first, but if not affordable, a Pentacon Six or Exacta 66. I'd only go for the Kiev if it is truly dirt cheap and you know it has been serviced to overcome its inconsistencies. (There is a company in the U.S. that can do this for you, but it is pricey. At that point, I'd rather just get a Pentacon or Exacta.)
    The Century Graphic will not meet your needs. No focal plane shutter. You need a mini speed with the focal plane shutter, preferrably with a graflock back. You can use mamiya rb67 film backs with the graflex graflock back too. You can also shoot 645, 6x6, 6x7, 6x8, 6x9, and switch in mid roll with different film backs. I use a Pentacon six, but I don't think it will be as user friendly for lens hacking as the graflex. Focussing would be a problem.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange View Post
    The idea of a Bronica is interesting. Maybe if I don't let my wife see it for a few months...

I can do anything camera and lens-wise, as long as there is no impact on household revenue...i.e., I just have to sell some stuff to pay for it. Maybe I sell a couple of my pre war 5.8cm Biotars...one doesn't really need 4?

The Bronica route does seem to be the direction I'm moving, tho' a 6x9 rollfilm back on a Graflex with reflex viewing is interesting...
    Eugene Goffredo
    Boston MA USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What about the Rollei SL66? Focal plane shutter, bellow focus, and tilt.
    Marek Warunkiewicz

Shooter
    Medium Format

Old lens on mf

Eugene, how about the Horseman V models? You can get a reflex viewer for them. I carried one to France for a two week trip, had 3 or 4 lenses all the way from 65mm to 270, and had a great time using it.
    The reflex viewers are easy to attach and detach since the cameras have graflok.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggboy View Post
    Also, just to confirm, the Mamiya RB/RZ bodies don't have shutters?
    That's correct, there is no shutter in either the RB or RZ bodies, they use leaf shutter lenses. I'm used to working in mirror-up with time exposures on the RB anyway, using a hat to cover the lens.

I've been playing with various vintage lenses on MF, but the only camera option I have is the RB67, using drilled body caps to mount the lenses. I've been thinking about a way to put a Packard shutter in front of the bellows on my RB, or maybe getting a 2x3 press camera as others here have suggested (either option means spending money I don't have at the moment).

Some of the lenses I've got to work with are a Mamiya Z-series 50mm macro that happens to cover 6x7 (at least when focused close), a lens out of a trashed Ernemann Bob II folder, and a glass lens from an early Polaroid Colorpack. Fun times.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ricksplace View Post
    The Century Graphic will not meet your needs. No focal plane shutter. You need a mini speed with the focal plane shutter, preferrably with a graflock back. You can use mamiya rb67 film backs with the graflex graflock back too. You can also shoot 645, 6x6, 6x7, 6x8, 6x9, and switch in mid roll with different film backs. I use a Pentacon six, but I don't think it will be as user friendly for lens hacking as the graflex. Focussing would be a problem.
    That is what lens caps are for!
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin