Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,872   Posts: 1,520,098   Online: 787

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    IMO do not buy a camera on a recommendation, sit down, think of the qualities you want in a MF system and buy the brand that best fits your list, the rest is irrelevant, all have good glass, all are reasonably sturdy and with e bay all can be had for a lot less than the new prices.
    Jorge is right on with this recommendation. I would add if you can find some friends with the cameras in mind ask to do a hands on examination to get a feel for the equipment.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    Not an answer to your question but it sounds similar to me a few years ago. I was determined to go medium format. Then with 4x5 prices falling on ebay I decided I might as well go 4x5, then I ended up saying well if I'm going to go 4x5 I might as well go 8x10 and contact print. If you are on a tight budget think about 8x10 and contact printing. A used 8x10 off of ebay, some holders, a used spot meter, contact printing frame, lightbulb, and paper, you're practically set -and it could be a lot cheaper than getting a medium format kit, enlarger, etc..
    I just talked to a professional photographer today who shoots on 4x5. He was showing me some of his negatives and they were very impressive. He said that I should consider just making the jump to large and skip medium. The thing that I am worried about is the cost of film for large format. How much do you pay about for film and do you ever proff with polaroid? What process do you use, paladium, platinum or regular old darkroom wet processing?
    [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen][SIZE=2]"We are not at War, we are having a nervous breakdown". Hunter S. Thompson[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A couple of thoughts:

From your questions on this and other questions, it seems evident that you are not satisfied with 35mm equipment, but not sure where you need to be with equipment to make the kind of images you want to make. If there is no immediate, driving(money producing) need for higher quality, I'd suggest taking a couple of steps - use a relatively low budget medium format system to determine if that is the right combination of quality and convenience for you.

Low cost($200-$1000) systems such as various TLR, Mamiya TLR systems, Koni Omega will give you experience in the quality improvements possible in medium format, and the cost, low compared to currently professional systems (Hasselblad...) could be recouped if you move to large format or decide to invest in a 'modern' medium format system. You may be moving 'through' medium format to LF or ULF, or this may be meet your end needs. Personally, over the last 5 years I've moved from 35mm to 6x7 for color, and 6x7 or LF(5x7) for B&W.

You may find that MF lets you work in your 'happy spot', or that it is only a temporary step to where your equipment needs to be to let you make the images you want. The only way to know for sure is to try. Go for it!

Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen J. Collier
    ...should I try to find a used medium format system from a larger and better known name or should I buy a new Kiev system for half the price?
    Personally I would get a decent used system from a well known brand. There are some great used stuff out there for cheap. I would NOT however buy from e-bay, but I'd go to reputable places like B&H, Adorama, Samy's, Henry's or KEH. I am assuming you are in the US or Canada.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin