Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,378   Online: 775

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

mamiya 645af issue *first use*

Hello,
    I just receive my first film camera, the Mamiya 645 AF from KEH and I have an issue. When I attached the 80mm 1.9 lens, and the back I was able to view find in the viewfinder, then something happen when I tried to test the camera out without film per the manual.

I removed the dark slide, opened the back, and there were a series of clicks after I pressed the shutter button. I took the back off I there's a black curtain that is down...the mirror is also down as well. I'm not able to view anything in the viewfinder--it's dark.

What am I doing wrong. I looked over the manual and it doesn't provide an answer. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Is there a curtain on the viewfinder eyepiece? There is on the manual focus AE finder. If you flipped this closed you won't be able to see as you described. Take the lens off and look at the mirror. You should see the focus screen reflected in it. If no light is coming in through the focus screen I bet this is your problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't have my afd here with me but I vaguely recall encountering similar things when I got it and wanted to check it out. If I remember correctly, there is some interlock that deploys a curtain to protect the shutter when the back is open. I think you need to use MLU and then fire the shutter under bulb setting and then open the back... not take the back off, but just open the back and remove the film magazine. Something like that. Don't quote me, I don't remember the procedure exactly, I just recall that the interlock mechanism was rather intricate. To compound matters, I don't recall the manual being very clearly written. But once you figure it out, you'll be very happy!

It's an interesting choice for a first film camera. Should you find the af disappointing, well... I actually prefer my mamiya 645 pro most of the time, just because I manually focus almost everything and the camera is much more modular. The afd is very convenient whenever I want to just grab a whole kit and go quickly. Also, as you know by now, the 80/1.9 is a manual lens. You might try an AF lens ASAP and decide whether you really think the AF is worth it. I think you will conclude that it isn't. No worries... the manual lenses are super and far less expensive.
    Last edited by keithwms; 04-02-2010 at 09:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank for replying...checked it and that's not the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt View Post
    Is there a curtain on the viewfinder eyepiece? There is on the manual focus AE finder. If you flipped this closed you won't be able to see as you described. Take the lens off and look at the mirror. You should see the focus screen reflected in it. If no light is coming in through the focus screen I bet this is your problem.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Keith--that seemed to work and you're right it seems very intricate. I'm actually shooting with the AF and not the AFD though and yep the manual i found on Mamiya's site dosn't really go into a lot of detail about this camera.

Regarding the 80 1.9 I won't be able to take advantage of any of the AF features on the camera--is that correct? When I look through the viewfinder I don't see any metering or camera info at the bottom at all.

Thank for the help.
    jT.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Jerrell I am not sure whether the af has this too, but in the afd viewfinder there are focus confirmation indicators. I find it quite useful. You see a circle when the focus is correct, or arrows when it is not. But there is only one focus point and it is in the center of the frame, so... it has limited use.

When using manual lenses, you may also wish to swap out your viewfinder screen. There is one with a sort of middle fresnel / split screen that some people like. I don't care for it.

I recommend picking up an 80/2.8 AF lens, or a 50/2.8 if you don't want to duplicate the 80 you have. (Actually I have three 80s and love them all: the 80/1.9, the 80/2.8 AF, and the 80/4 macro which is amazing)
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Very helpful thanks Keith. I'll have to look into the other 80s for sure.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    hey, when I look through the finder all I can see is a really blurry image wehre you cant make out any shapes at all.. any ideas????

Thanks

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd call KEH. They are very helpful.

Howard

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The 645AF automatically opens the shutter when you take off the back as a protection measure (so you don't put your finger through it ). You are also using a manual focus lens on an autofocus camera so you will have to use it in aperture priority mode or manual mode. Select the aperture on the lens and the camera will pick the shutter speed for you and change the switch on the front of the camera to M for manual focus. You can check for shutter operation if you only open the film back and remove the insert.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin