Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,701   Posts: 1,548,419   Online: 1046

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by unclemack View Post
    The 645 has electronically-controlled shutter speeds & needs a PX28 or equivalent 6V to work.
    ah... Thanks for the info, i'll go ahead and pick a couple of those up!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by macheesemo View Post
    ah... Thanks for the info, i'll go ahead and pick a couple of those up!
    Consider the internet as a source - for some reason the alkaline versions are most commonly used for dog collars
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks! I'll probably be able to find a good deal on a suitable battery...

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm in Nashville too! I'll be on the lookout for somebody walking around with a suspiciously awesome camera and say hello.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow... Anybody favor adorama, calumet or freestyle for supplies? i've got a couple of rolls of fuji neopan 400 b&w 120 film and kodak professional ultra color 400 film in the 220 size (the kit includes both size backs). I need to get a comfortable neckstrap, choose some b&w developing chemicals, possibly filters for the lenses and definitely some more film! Maybe a 80-90mm lens and/or a 140mm to go with the 55mm and 210mm I'm getting with the camera. Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by macheesemo View Post
    Hopefully it will arrive tomorrow... Anybody favor adorama, calumet or freestyle for supplies? i've got a couple of rolls of fuji neopan 400 b&w 120 film and kodak professional ultra color 400 film in the 220 size (the kit includes both size backs). I need to get a comfortable neckstrap, choose some b&w developing chemicals, possibly filters for the lenses and definitely some more film! Maybe a 80-90mm lens and/or a 140mm to go with the 55mm and 210mm I'm getting with the camera. Any suggestions would be most appreciated!
    I get all my film from Freestyle. Good for chemistry too.

Accessories are probably a wash no matter where, just check prices.

Lenses ... there's always KEH or the auctions. Keep an eye on your local Craigslist too. And the classifieds here :-) If you're not patient, then KEH might be the place to start.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by videocrew View Post
    I'm in Nashville too! I'll be on the lookout for somebody walking around with a suspiciously awesome camera and say hello.
    cool! do you use chromatics or dury's for processing or printing? i hope to be developing my own b&w film, but I'll still be dependent on them for color stuff, scanning and prints...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Also, will the hotshoe on the prism viewfinder be compatible with my Vivitar 283 flash? I don't think my L-bracket I use for flash with 35mm will fit on this beast, but I can't wait to check...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    So, the camera has arrived... I need a little help surveying its functionality. It appears to be in great condition, has a left hand trigger grip, 210mm lens and 55mm lens, 2x 120 inserts + 1x 220 insert, ill-fitting lenscaps for both lenses, both waist-level viewfinder and prism/meter viewfinder.

I replaced the battery with a fresh one immediately, as I read that firing the shutter without a battery or with a dead battery can damage the camera... I have all day on thursday to shoot with it, both color 220 film and b&w 120 film. I also have a 150mm lens w/ leaf shutter and an 80mm f/2.8 lens from KEH... I don't know what the meter takes, but I'll hopefully have my Gossen Luna-Pro w/ 7-15 degree spot meter attachment working... I shelled out for the battery adaptors, the meter is just now coming back to life!

Now I've got to figure out how to get the camera up and working... I want to use the leaf shutter lens to do fill flash w/ sync at all leaf shutter speeds... Must figure out how much light I get from Vivitar 283 w/ mini softbox diffuser attachment...

A really cool thing about all this: probably about 11 years ago I got a newton camera flash bracket for $5 in the bargain bin @ jack's camera in my hometown in IN (they are a great store and have a bunch on ebay these days)... I find out later that this cool piece was priced at a small several hundred dollars or so. I think the full deal is about $200+ or so today. Anyway, I've used this on my Canon AE-1 for years with the Vivitar 283 flash. As fate would have it, the bracket fits just great on the Mamiya 1000s as well! It not only gives me ability to change between viewfinders, but gives me both portrait and landscape positions with flash on top of the camera. What a lucky break pertaining to one of my favorite pieces of equipment!

Any input on how to make sure everything is good on the camera while I attempt to put it through its paces? Anything to look out for? Any leaf shutter tips? I've never used one... Camera on B, lens on M, shutter release cable attached to lens and fire?

The camera looks and feels great. There is absolutely no comparison between this and the Kiev. The Mamiya is so nice in every detail and displays a profound level of foresight in the design. Everything feels fantastic and seems to be in great shape.

So, new batteries, new lenses. What advice? I want to make sure it's all working. I can find the manual, but am unsure of how to use leaf lenses & flash... i see the sync X on the bottom of leaf lens for flash sync... as simple as it seems?

Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm
    Congrats on that fine camera!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin