Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,906   Online: 941

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Questions regarding film backs for Bronica ETRS

I just got my Bronica ETRS kit, and was browsing KEH and Ffordes to see which accessories I could put on my wish list. I noticed that you can get both 120E and 120EI backs. What is the difference between these?

Also, you can get backs for 35mm film? I can understand why someone wants to toy around with the 135W, as the format is wider than normal 35mm, but why would you use the 135N? Why not just bring your 35mm slr?

Henrik
    Henrik Lauridsen

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have a 135N back .. been trying to locate a 135W ... simple answer is, if you have this back you only have to carry one camera :-) Honestly I don't use it much, except if I'm hiking or something and want to limit the load. But yea, when I shoot 35mm I do prefer my Contax. Also of course, you could have a couple of them and have them loaded with different films, something you can't do with a single 35mm SLR.

I think the "EI" backs have a locking darkslide. You can use them on the ETRS. There are the first backs, with a single release, newer models with a double release lever, and the EI's had double release and locking darkslide. I don't have any EI backs myself.

Hope this helped.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 5stringdeath View Post
    I have a 135N back .. been trying to locate a 135W ... simple answer is, if you have this back you only have to carry one camera :-)
    That makes sense. By the way, I just found out that my ETRS is equipped with the focus screen for 135 film backs (microprism/split image). Nice to know, if I should come across a 135W back.

My 120 backs are with double release handles, and no locking darkslide.
    Henrik Lauridsen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bronica backs are confusing since everything came in different versions and i think most everything works in every version, so it's quite possible to get the back, slide and insert all mixed up and then sold to you.

As far as i can tell, there's the single latch backs, then the double latch backs. There's earlier inserts, with a kind of gear thing to get the film loaded, and later inserts where they've put on a little lever like on 35mm camera rewind cranks - i think the later one are supposed to have better film flatness, but i can't tell the difference. The dark slides have either a black or a gray handle, the gray ones are the ones that lock. I don't have any gray handle ones so i can't tell you exactly how they work, but i think it's only with the later backs.

I have the 135W back, and it's pretty great - 22 shots on a roll, panoramic pictures, being able to use any ol' 35mm film. I think the 135N back would make more sense if there were lenses past 40mm. I guess if you've got a macro setup or a big telephoto it would be nice though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Ei backs use two latches to hold the back closed, which supposedly is more secure than a single latch.
    The Ei backs have an interlock which prevents the dark slide from being removed if the back is not mounted on a body.

The reason for the 135N back is that more emulsion types are available in 135 than in 120/220.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images

Re: Questions regarding film backs for Bronica ETRS

I guess I do have ei backs :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltw View Post
    The Ei backs use two latches to hold the back closed, which supposedly is more secure than a single latch.
    The Ei backs have an interlock which prevents the dark slide from being removed if the back is not mounted on a body.

The reason for the 135N back is that more emulsion types are available in 135 than in 120/220.
    Actually, the two latch type came in 1982, while the locking dark slide came with the Ei backs for the ETR-Si, in 1989.

This is a good source of info. For ETR series history, click on ETR Guide.

www.tamron-usa.com/bronica/slr_archives.asp
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by c.w. View Post
    The dark slides have either a black or a gray handle, the gray ones are the ones that lock. I don't have any gray handle ones so i can't tell you exactly how they work, but i think it's only with the later backs.
    The locking darkslides have a slot cut into them near the handle. The later backs have a spring loaded button that comes out when the back is removed. When it comes out it locks the slide. When the back is mounted, the button is depressed by the body mounting surface. A black handle slide can be converted to a locking type by carefully cutting that slot into it. It will only lock on a locking type back, naturally.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Necator View Post
    ...Also, you can get backs for 35mm film? I can understand why someone wants to toy around with the 135W, as the format is wider than normal 35mm, but why would you use the 135N? Why not just bring your 35mm slr? Henrik
    Look at it this way:

You want to take portraits? A 135mm back using the existing lens (80mm?) makes a great format/lens combination for portraiture (or just passport photos).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ^75mm^

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin