Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,353   Online: 1103

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Mamiya RB67 lens

Today I received an 90 C for my RB67 from KEH. Looks almost brand new! Even tough it was BGN. I'm going to use it tomorrow. I can't hardly wait.

Jeff

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    You need to bang it up a bit first it sounds like...LOL
    * Just because your eyes are closed, doesn't mean the lights in the darkroom are off. *
    * When the film you put in the camera is worth more than the camera you put the film in... *
    * When I started using 8x10, it amazed me how many shots were close to the car. *

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Searust View Post
    You need to bang it up a bit first it sounds like...LOL
    !

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you look at how KEH arrives at a "BGN" rating, you'll be amazed how really minor things are overweighted. Just make up a fictional lens and run it through their rating system and you will see. Their rating system severely overweights things that play no role in the actual value of the lens, in my opinion. And they do this in spite of a liberal return policy that should convince almost everybody that it's worthwhile to go for the bargains and simply return them if they aren't up to snuff.

The good news, for buyers, is that the lens you get, even if rated BGN, is typically very good. The bad news, for sellers, is that you get low offers for lenses that are almost perfect, and you'd typically be better off selling by other means.

Anyway, here are some things to look out for with RB lenses: check all the speeds (I used to use instant film to do this, and that has now become a bit too precious for that!). Also check the bulb and other settings. Also check that the lens mounts and dismounts smoothly... from what I've seen, sometimes people forget to cock the lens before removing it, then pry on it like a monkey and mess something up (albeit usually only a cosmetic issue).
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the info!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmm....
    my luck with bargain grade hasn't been too great lately.
    I had to send the last 2 back due to excessive inner dust and a mar/scratch on the front element.
    One before that was beat to heck cosmetically but the glass was good so I kept it.

Add to this I had to hound them for a month to get them to credit back my money on the returned items. I complained loadly considering I was told 15 days to get credited and it took 30+.

Seems thay used to be wayyyy better.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have always had great experiences with KEH! I have had one return and they quickly took care of it. Hopefully your experience is just a fluke???
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just ordered a $115 "BGN" 150mm for the Mamiya 645 1000s that should be arriving at any moment... f/3.8 w/ leaf shutter- pretty cool! I think this is going to be the lens I use a lot for soft-box attachment on my Vivitar 283 for fill flash since the leaf shutter will synch with it... Also picked up a f/2.8 80mm.... Hoping to be enjoying these "pitfalls" of the KEH rating system ASAP!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Last edited by MattKing; 04-14-2010 at 12:07 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: moved post to macheesmo's 645 thread

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have run a roll of film through my RB67 with the 90C lens on it. Looks like everything is OK!

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin