Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,713   Online: 786

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras

Polaroid 180 or Polaroid 600 SE?

I just got a fantastic deal on a 180 on Ebay but shortly afterwards came across some info on the 600 se. I don't know how I missed it when I started researching polaroids several years ago. I have an SX-70 and a 440 but automatic exposure drives me INSANE. I own 8 cameras and not one of them is auto, so I suppose you could say I'm spoiled.

Anyhow, could anybody with experience with the 180/190/195 camera and the 600 se perhaps enlighten me as to the differences between the two? I can always re-sell the 180 (and get much more) and buy the 600 se if there's some fantastic feature I'm missing out on. Of course, a wide angle option would be cool but how easily are the lenses obtained?

Thanks!

Aurore

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    There is a wide angle (75mm) for the Polaroid 600 SE. It's plenty sharp even for 665 negs destined for big enlargements.

For more insight into this camera look also at the Mamiya Universal--The Polaroid 600 SE is just a Mamiya Universal with different rangefinder brightframes (to match the Polaroid format) and intentionally incompatible lens and back mounts (the Polaroid was cheaper, and Mamiya didn't want it to cannibalize Universal sales). "M" adapters for the Polaroid do surface from time to time--these let you use standard Mamiya 120/220 backs.

Or, looked at the other way around, you can get a Polaroid back for the Mamiya Universal. This is a full format Polaroid unlike all other Polaroid-on-120-camera options (though not all lenses cover) The downside is the brightframes won't be precisely right. The upside is you have more easily available lenses, a really wide angle (50mm) that almost covers, and easier access to 120/220 rollfilm. They also tend to be cheaper, although the 75mm is going to be expensive in either mount.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin