Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,568   Posts: 1,545,441   Online: 1122

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My experience is that, currently, digital approaches but does not quite reach the quality of 645 film. The differences in the pictures may well be due to the lens - the Canon lens is excellent, but my experience with the Pentax lens is that it is a little less than tops. Digital is still improving, however. Digital also has some advantages for potential quality. There is only one optical stage - imaging the light on the sensor. Not having to image the light again (either by an enlarger or a scanner) to make the print helps. The sensor technology, with its discrete pickups, also has some advantages over film for the image. The MTF maintains contrast to higher levels of definition.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nworth
    My experience is that, currently, digital approaches but does not quite reach the quality of 645 film.
    And my experience is that digital doesn't even match 35mm yet, much less 645.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Ara, those were excellent thoughts.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Just to bring the shoot-out up to date..... after all it is an old feature on LL

I was just informed of this link to the Japanese Mamiya site where you can download sample images from their latest MF ZD 22 Mpixel camera, due out early next year after a big delay. I have downloaded one of the landscape shots and one portrait. The former is distinctly unimpressive in quality terms with funny tonality going on int the rocks. IMO, far, far worse than 6x7 and not even a sniff close to a 900ppi scan of 5x4! The Portrait seems better suited, but suspect it has been massively post-processed.

http://www.mamiya-op.co.jp/home/came...le/sample.html

http://www.mamiya-op.co.jp/home/came...e/sample3.html

warning download jpeg file sizes are 7 to 28MB. So it can be quite slow to see the state of the nation. But interesting nonetheless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There may be one optical stage for digital, but like all things digital and analog the differences are often greater than the similarities. Digital requires steps that are unique and can constrict or limit quality:
    • Raw Capture
    • Initial conversion to tif,jpg,psd, etc
    • Application of profile with associated colour space
    • conversion for output

There is that other nuanced item -- digital is not film.

FWIW the ZD, on paper, looks to be a hell of nice Digital Camera.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin