Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,484   Posts: 1,644,745   Online: 885

Shooter
    Multi Format

A-24 is cutting off frame #1...

A few weeks ago, I finished a magazine assignment in that I used mostly A-12 backs but went with my lone A-24 when shooting in heavy snowfall.

So I got my film back and it is cutting off 1/3rd of frame #1 consistently and leaving a good bit of wasted film on the end of the roll. I am wondering how I can adjust the back to start in the right spot. I have thought that I could pass the arrow by 1/2 a turn since I rarely use the back, but I might forget so I would rather look at getting it fixed right.

Any suggestions besides sending it off to David Odess?

P.S. I kind of got tired of not being able to critically frame with my 500 CM's and 180 CF, so I caved and bought a mint 501 CM which will replace one of my 500's, I can't wait to get it next week!
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Is it possible that you don't load the film properly?
    220 film has two start marks. The first one noone needs. You need to wind on until the second mark is opposite the index.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As a temporary measure, you can wind the flim slightly past the mark which should get frame one in the right place, you might need to experiment some though, if you go too far, it will throw off the spacing.

Other than that, best to send it off for fixing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    Is it possible that you don't load the film properly?
    220 film has two start marks. The first one noone needs. You need to wind on until the second mark is opposite the index.
    Doh! I think we have a winner!
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not too fast.
    Could well be that you did recognize the true start mark all along and have wound on to it, passed the dotted line that is the first one.
    (That is, i believe most/all manufacturers use that dotted line - haven't used 220 for a while and last i used was Fuji colour slide film. It had a dotted line. Note to myself: must get a stash of Portra in 220 now that it is still available.)

So try/test/have a look first.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yes, usually the first mark is a dotted line for "special equipment" whatever that is, and the second mark is usually a pair of thick arrows like 120 usually has.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin